|This article does not cite any references or sources. (August 2008)|
It was founded on November 9, 1828 as Philharmonische Gesellschaft (Philharmonic Society).
In 1934 it merged with the Stadttheater-Orchester to become the Philharmonisches Staatsorchester Hamburg (the name under which it recorded a celebrated Eighth Symphony of Anton Bruckner under Eugen Jochum in 1949). The present name was adopted in 2005.
- Karl Muck
- Eugen Jochum (1934-49)
- Joseph Keilberth (1951-?)
- Wolfgang Sawallisch (1961-1973)
- Horst Stein (1973-1976)
- Aldo Ceccato (1976-1982)
- Hans Zender (1984-1988), GMD
- Gerd Albrecht (1988-?), GMD
- Ingo Metzmacher (1997-2005), GMD
- Simone Young (2005-present), GMD
- Blyth, Alan, Interview and profile of Eugen Jochum (August 1972). The Gramophone: p. 319