|Sub-region||Eastern Lapland sub-region|
|• Municipal manager||Mika Riipi|
|• Total||3,544.95 km2 (1,368.71 sq mi)|
|• Land||3,038.81 km2 (1,173.29 sq mi)|
|• Water||506.14 km2 (195.42 sq mi)|
|Area rank||17th largest in Finland|
|• Rank||222nd largest in Finland|
|• Density||1.25/km2 (3.2/sq mi)|
|Population by native language|
|• Finnish||99.5% (official)|
|Population by age|
|• 0 to 14||12.5%|
|• 15 to 64||63.2%|
|• 65 or older||24.3%|
|Time zone||EET (UTC+2)|
|• Summer (DST)||EEST (UTC+3)|
|Municipal tax rate||20.5%|
Posio is a municipality of Finland. It is located in the province of Lapland. The municipality has a population of 3,812 (31 August 2013) and covers an area of 3,544.95 square kilometres (1,368.71 sq mi) of which 506.14 km2 (195.42 sq mi) is water. The population density is 1.25 inhabitants per square kilometre (3.2 /sq mi).
Major employers in Posio are municipality itself, major pottery manufacturer Pentik and agriculture (especially milk producing).
The municipality is unilingually Finnish.
Korouoma canyon and natural reserve is located in Posio.
Sights and events
Posio's most renowned attractions are Pentik-mäki Culture Centre, Riisitunturi National Park, Korouoma Nature Reserve, and clear waters of lake Kitkajärvi and Livojärvi.
The world's northernmost ceramics factory is located in Posio. Pentik Oy interior design company was established in 1971 by Anu and Topi Pentikäinen.
Regular events in Posio are Posion messut, Teatterihelinät, Sirniö Smith Event in June and Traditional Fish Fair in July.
- "Area by municipality as of 1 January 2011" (PDF) (in Finnish and Swedish). Land Survey of Finland. Retrieved 9 March 2011.
- "VÄESTÖTIETOJÄRJESTELMÄ REKISTERITILANNE 31.8.2013" (in Finnish and Swedish). Population Register Center of Finland. Retrieved 15 September 2013.
- "Population according to language and the number of foreigners and land area km2 by area as of 31 December 2008". Statistics Finland's PX-Web databases. Statistics Finland. Retrieved 29 March 2009.
- "Population according to age and gender by area as of 31 December 2008". Statistics Finland's PX-Web databases. Statistics Finland. Retrieved 28 April 2009.
- "List of municipal and parish tax rates in 2011". Tax Administration of Finland. 29 November 2010. Retrieved 13 March 2011.
Media related to Posio at Wikimedia Commons
- Municipality of Posio – Official website (Finnish)
|This Lapland location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|