|Meaning||Sun, skilled, intelligent, clever|
|Region of origin||South Part of India|
|Alternative spelling||Pravin, Prabin, Praween|
|Variant form(s)||Pravin, Prabin, Praween|
|Related names||Pravin, Prabin, Praween prawin|
Praveen(also spelled Prabin,Pravin, Praween or ) is a male name of Sanskrit origin. It is a common Nepalese, Indian, Sri Lankan or Thai given name. The actual meaning of name "Prabin" is "knowledge", "skillful", or "proficient".
In Telugu and Kannada, the word "Praveen" refers to specialization in a particular aspect. For example in Telugu: "Sangeetham lo praveenudu" refers to a particular person who is specialized in music.
The name "Praveen" was first used by royal heirs of the Ancient South-Indian Kingdoms who were born during the "Rudhrodhgaari" (57th year) of the 60 year cycle of the Tamil Calendar derived from ancient astronomical data, known as the "Tirukkanda Panchanga" (cf. The Secret Doctrine, 2:49-51).
- Praveen Chaudhari, Indian American physicist, former director of Brookhaven National Laboratory
- Praveen Thipsay, Indian chess grandmaster
- Praveen Swami, Indian security analyst, journalist and author. Former Diplomatic Editor The Daily Telegraph newspaper
- Yogesh Praveen, Indian author and expert on the history and culture of Avadh
- Praveen Kumar, Indian cricketer
- Pravin Amre, Indian cricketer
- Praveen Kumar Bala, the mayor of Ba, Fiji
- Praveen Togadia, General Secretary of the Vishva Hindu Parishad
- Praveen Chandra, leading Indian cardiologist
- Praveen Jordan, Indonesian Badminton Player
|This page or section lists people that share the same given name. If an internal link led you here, you may wish to change that link to point directly to the intended article.|