Prince of Darkness
Prince of Darkness is a term used in John Milton's poem Paradise Lost, published in 1667, referring to Satan, who is viewed as the embodiment of evil. It is an English translation of the Latin phrase princeps tenebrarum, which occurs in the Acts of Pilate, written in the fourth century, in the 11th-century hymn Rhythmus de die mortis by Pietro Damiani, and in a sermon by Bernard of Clairvaux from the 12th century.
Edgar: The prince of darkness is a gentleman.
The term may also refer to:
- A nickname for Marilyn Manson, alternative musician
- A nickname for Miles Davis, jazz musician
- A nickname for General Sir Mike Jackson, Chief of British General Staff, commander of KFOR in the liberation of Kosovo
- A nickname for Warren Kinsella, Canadian political consultant and former PMO staffer to Prime Minister Jean Chretien
- A nickname for Lord Mandelson, former British Cabinet Minister and First Secretary of State
- A nickname for Robert Novak, American journalist and conservative commentator
- A nickname for Ozzy Osbourne, British rock singer and television personality
- A nickname for Tim Parker, British businessman
- A nickname for Richard Perle, American assistant Secretary of Defense during the Reagan administration
- A nickname for The Undertaker, professional wrestler
- A nickname for Gordon Willis, cinematographer famous for his work on The Godfather films
- A nickname for Mithra Maneyapanda
- A nickname for Nick Cave, Australian musician
- Phil, the Prince of Insufficient Light, a supernatural being in Scott Adams' comic strip Dilbert
- A name applied to the fictional character Dracula
- A name applied to the mythical god Hades
- A name applied to the fictional character Damon Salvatore in the book series The Vampire Diaries
- A name applied to the fictional character Ganondorf in the popular video game series The Legend of Zelda
Films and television
- Prince of Darkness, a horror film by John Carpenter
- Dracula: Prince of Darkness, a horror film by Terence Fisher
- Martian Successor Nadesico: The Motion Picture – Prince of Darkness, an anime film directed by Tatsuo Satō
- "Prince of Darkness" (1992), episode 3.8 of Law & Order
(Alphabetical by artist)
- A song and compilation album by heavy metal artist Alice Cooper
- An album by Big Daddy Kane
- A song by Bow Wow Wow from the album See Jungle! See Jungle! Go Join Your Gang, Yeah. City All Over! Go Ape Crazy
- A song by the folk duo Indigo Girls from their self-titled Indigo Girls album
- A song by heavy metal band Lucifer's Friend from the album Where the Groupies Killed the Blues
- A song by heavy metal band Megadeth from the album Risk
- The Prince of Darkness (Ozzy Osbourne album) by Ozzy Osbourne; The term is also used as a moniker for Osbourne
- A nickname for Lucas Industries (Joseph Lucas, Ltd.), a British electrical-equipment manufacturer, because of the reputation of poor-quality lighting on many British cars and motorcycles using Lucas electrics.
|This disambiguation page lists articles associated with the same title.
If an internal link led you here, you may wish to change the link to point directly to the intended article.