Princess Antoinette of Saxe-Coburg-Saalfeld
|Antoinette Ernestine Amalie|
Princess Antoinette, oil on canvas, 1794
|Spouse||Duke Alexander of Württemberg|
|Issue||Marie, Duchess of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha
Paul of Württemberg
Alexander, Duke of Württemberg
Ernest of Württemberg
Frederick of Württemberg
|House||House of Wettin (by birth)
House of Württemberg (by marriage)
|Father||Francis, Duke of Saxe-Coburg-Saalfeld|
|Mother||Countess Augusta of Reuss-Ebersdorf|
28 August 1779|
|Died||14 March 1824
Saint Petersburg, Russian Empire
Princess Antoinette of Saxe-Coburg-Saalfeld (Antoinette Ernestine Amalie; 28 August 1779 – 14 March 1824) was a German princess of the House of Wettin. By marriage, she was a Duchess of Württemberg. Through her eldest surviving son, she is the ancestress of today's (Catholic) House of Württemberg.
Born in Coburg, she was the second daughter of Francis, Duke of Saxe-Coburg-Saalfeld and Countess Augusta Reuss-Ebersdorf. She was also the elder sister of King Leopold I of Belgium and the aunt of both Queen Victoria and her husband, Prince Albert. Her maternal grandparents were Heinrich XXIV, Count Reuß-Ebersdorf and Karoline Ernestine von Erbach-Schönberg, and her paternal grandparents were Ernst Friedrich and Antoinette of Braunschweig-Wolfenbüttel.
In Coburg on 17 November 1798, she married Alexander of Württemberg. The couple settled in Russia, where Alexander, as a maternal uncle of both Emperors Alexander I and Nicholas I made a military and diplomatic career.
According to Queen Louise of Prussia, Antoinette could have had an illegitimate child. Her brother George wrote on 18 May 1802: "[...] The Württemberg couple didn't speak to each other in 2 years, but she was with child and certainly the father was some Herr von Höbel, a Canon. I know all this from the Duke of Weimar, and is holy true."
- Marie of Württemberg (1799–1860), who in 1832 married Ernest I, Duke of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha.
- Paul of Württemberg (1800–1801).
- Alexander of Württemberg (1804–1881), Duke of Württemberg.
- Ernest of Württemberg (1807–1868), Duke of Württemberg, who in 1860 married Nathalie Eschhorn von Grünhof (1829–1905). Their only daughter, Alexandra Nathalie Ernestine von Grünhof, married Robert von Keudell and had issue.
- Frederick Wilhelm Ferdinand of Württemberg (29 April 1810 – 25 April 1815).
- Charles Grey: Die Jugendjahre des Prinzen Albert von Sachsen-Coburg-Gotha, Perthes, 1868, p. 4.
- Königlich-Württembergisches Hof- und Staats-Handbuch, Guttenberg, 1824, p. 10. online
- Königin Luise von Preußen: Briefe und Aufzeichnungen 1786-1810. Kunstverlag, 2010, p. 188.
|Ancestors of Princess Antoinette of Saxe-Coburg-Saalfeld|
- von Wiebeking, Carl Friedrich. Biographie des Herzogs Alexander zu Württemberg. Munich, 1835.
- Sauer, Paul. "Alexander (I.)." In Das Haus Württemberg. Ein biographisches Lexikon, ed. Sönke Lorenz, Dieter Mertens, and Volker Press. Stuttgart: Kohlhammer, 1997. ISBN 3-17-013605-4
Media related to Princess Antoinette of Saxe-Coburg-Saalfeld at Wikimedia Commons