Project SuperStar

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search
For the current season, see Project SuperStar (season 3).
Project SuperStar
Project SuperStar Titles.jpg
Genre Reality television
Presented by Quan Yi Fong (season 1–2)
Jeff Wang (season 1–2)
Jeremy Chan (season 3–)
Dasmond Koh (season 3–)
Shane Pow (season 3–)
Judges Billy Koh (season 1–2)
Lee Wei Song (season 1–2)
Li Feihui
Anthony Png (season 1–2)
Dawn Yip
Eric Ng (season 3–)
Country of origin Singapore
Original language(s) Chinese
No. of seasons 3
No. of episodes 60 (as of 4 February 2007)
Production
Location(s) Various (auditions)
MediaCorp TV Theatre (live shows)
Singapore Indoor Stadium (final)
Running time 20–160 minutes
Broadcast
Original channel MediaCorp Channel U
Original run 22 June 2005 (2005-06-22) – present
External links
Website

Project SuperStar (Chinese: 绝对 SuperStar) is a singing talent search competition organised by MediaCorp and broadcast every Wednesday and Thursday at 8:00 pm on Channel U in Singapore. Project SuperStar was organised to uncover and develop young talent in Mandarin pop in Singapore. Closely modelled after the Pop Idol, 24 contestants were selected to enter the Quarter Finals of the competition. For both seasons, it was hosted by Quan Yi Fong and Jeff Wang. Episodes were pre-recorded, and broadcast on Wednesday for male contestants, while episodes on Thursday feature female contestants. Result shows were shown on the same Thursday of the week at 11:30 pm. Season 3's Live-telecast will begin on 18 August 2014 and the finale is set to be on 26 October 2014. It is announced that Dasmond Koh, Jeremy Chan and Shane Pow will be the hosts for the third season.

Format (Season 1 and 2)[edit]

Male and female contestants will perform on two separate days, Wednesday and Thursday respectively, with the results of both female and male category announced on Thursday at 11.30 pm. Contestants would sing and their performance would be assessed by judges present at the show itself, and also by the public.

Judges would give a score each upon ten, and the total score upon 50, accounts for 30% of the final score for the contestant for that particular episode. The remaining 70% is obtained from telepolling and SMS voting from the public. The judging team is made up of Ye Peifen, Li Feihui, Xu Huanliang, Fang Zhonghua and Lee Wei Song, some of which are Singapore’s acclaimed singers and producers.

Quarter Finals (Season 1 and 2)[edit]

There are 5 rounds in the Quarter Final, including a Revival Round for eliminated contestants.

In each episode in the Quarter Final, each contestant would perform a solo piece as well as a duet. In the 1st two episodes, the male and female categories are sub-divided into two groups of six, in which the bottom-two ranked contestants in every group would be eliminated from the competition. A total of four male and four female contestants will be eliminated.

These eight eliminated contestants will not be eligible to enter the Revival Round.

The remaining eight male and eight female contestants will advance to the 3rd and 4th round of the Quarter Final. Each of the male and female categories are now sub-divided into two groups of four, in which two contestants will be eliminated in each group. Four male and four female contestants will advance to the Semi Final.

The other four male and four female contestants who were eliminated will have another shot at stardom when they will compete in the 5th Quarter Final, which is the Revival Round, in which only 1 male and 1 female contestant will advance to the semi-finals, forming the top ten along with the other eight contestants.

Semi Finals (Season 1 and 2)[edit]

The five male and five female contestants once again are divided by gender. There will be four rounds of Semi Final. They would undergo judging and elimination similar to that in the Quarter Final. However, they would not be required to perform duet.

The performance will be based on a theme each week. A live band will replace the original music accompaniment, with each contestant singing three songs. Based on their final score, a male contestant and a female contestant would be eliminated each week. Eventually, the male and female winner of their respective categories would advance to the Final.

Themes (Season 1)

  • Top 10 : A slow song and a dance item
  • Top 8 : Oldies' night
  • Top 6 : Theme song of a local drama/movie
  • Top 6 : A song by local artist
  • Top 4 : Same song with slow and rock versions
  • Top 4 : An English song
  • Top 4 : Productions choice, same song, different rendition
  • Top 2 : Command the attention of the huge audience through a song
  • Top 2 : An unplugged song
  • Top 2 : Duet with Guest
  • Top 2 : Designated song by judges to point out contestants' weakness
  • Top 2 : Contestant's choice

Themes (Season 2)

  • Top 16 : Retro Night: The 1980s to 1990s
  • Top 10 : A slow song and a dance item
  • Top 8 : Oldies Night: The 1940s to 1970s
  • Top 6 : Theme song of a local drama
  • Top 6 : Theme song of a movie
  • Top 4 : One English song of their choice
  • Top 4 : One Chinese song of their choice
  • Top 4 : Productions choice, same song, different rendition
  • Top 2 : One rock song (will require the finalist to dance, live band will be accompanied)
  • Top 2 : One unplugged song (live band will be accompanied)
  • Top 2 : One hip-hop song (will require the finalist to dance)
  • Top 2 : One jazz/bossa nova song (live band will be accompanied)
  • Top 2 : One personally selected pop song (live band will be accompanied)

Finals (Season 1 and 2)[edit]

Before the Grand final, both the male and female finalists would be required to record and release limited editions of a Single, of which the sales record will be tracked. The singles would only be available for a few days. This accounts for 30% of their score in the final. The remaining 70% consists of telepolling and SMS voting results. Unlike previous rounds, judges have no say in the eventual winner, though they will express their opinions on who is better in each of the five rounds.

On the day of the actual performance, each of them would have to perform five songs in the Singapore Indoor Stadium.

Project SuperStar Season 3[edit]

Series overview[edit]

To date, two seasons have been broadcast, as summarised below.

     Contestant in male category
     Contestant in female category

Season Start Finish Winner Runner-up Third place Winning coach Winning manager Main hosts Guest hosts Main judges Guest judges Sponsors
One 22 June 2005 (2005-06-22) 1 September 2005 (2005-09-01) Kelvin Tan Kelly Poon Chew Sin Huey N/A Quan Yi Fong
Jeff Wang
Dennis Chew1
Christina Lin1
Billy Koh
Lee Wei Song
Roy Loi
Anthony Png
Dawn Yip
N/A VodaVoda
Mango TV
M1
Hong Jun Yang
Two 8 November 2006 (2006-11-08) 4 February 2007 (2007-02-04) Daren Tan Lydia Tan Nat Tan Quan Yi Fong
Jeff Wang
Christina Lin2
Lee Teng3
Charlyn Lin3
Pornsak3
Sim Yun Ying3
SK Jewellery
Hoyu
Sony
Silkpro
SILKYGIRL
M1
Carrie Yeo
Three 18 August 2014 (2014-08-18) 26 October 2014 (2014-10-26) Alfred Sim Abigail Yeo Justin Chua Dawn Yip Jeremy Chan Dasmond Koh
Jeremy Chan4
Shane Pow4
N/A Roy Loi
Dawn Yip
Eric Ng
Tiger Huang5
Lee Wei Song5
AMC Live
Marigold Peel Fresh
White Rabbit
Calbee
Eversoft
Tan Yan Hua
Notes
  1. ^ Dennis Chew and Christina Lin served as the leaders of the supporters during the final. Chew led the supporters of male category winner Kelvin Tan, while Lin led the supporters of female category winner Kelly Poon.
  2. ^ Christina Lin presented backstage for the performance shows on Wednesdays and Thursdays.
  3. ^ Lee Teng, Charlyn Lin, Pornsak and Sim Yun Ying served as the leaders of the supporters during the final. Lee and Pornsak led the supporters of male category winner Daren Tan, while Lin and Sim led the supporters of female category winner Lydia Tan.
  4. ^ Jeremy Chan and Shane Pow presented backstage and acted as the managers for the contestants.
  5. ^ Tiger Huang and Lee Wei Song would serve as the guest judges at the final.

External links[edit]