Purdue Memorial Union
|Location||101 North Grant Street
West Lafayette, Indiana 47907-3574
|Construction started||June 13, 1922|
|Completed||September 9, 1924|
|Design and construction|
|Architect||Pond and Pond|
|Main contractor||A.E. Kemmer|
The Purdue Memorial Union (PMU) is a student union building located on the Purdue University campus in West Lafayette, Indiana, USA. It opened in 1924 as a memorial to the Purdue students who had fought in World War I. The building includes several restaurants, lounges, and student organization offices, as well as a bowling alley and a hotel.
In the early 1900s, Purdue was in need of a place for students, staff, and visitors to gather in the Purdue community. The Class of 1912 began collecting funds to build a union for Purdue. Funds were collected until the start of World War I. Many men and women from Purdue fought in the war and some died. It was decided that the union should be a memorial dedicated to those men and women. From then on, funds were collected to begin building the PMU.
The PMU was opened in 1924 before it was completely finished in 1929. In the basement, a bowling alley was built in 1936. The ground floor contains most of the Union’s restaurants and coffee shops. On the main floor of the Union, there are student services as well as some lounges. There are two ballrooms where large groups can gather for special events. Located on this floor as well is the Great Hall of the Union. This is the memorial for Purdue men and women that have fought in the wars. A scale model of Purdue is located in the Great Hall of the Union. The second floor of the PMU contains many lounges and private offices.
Union Club Hotel
The first part of the Union Club Hotel was built in 1929. Since then, it has grown into a full service hotel providing a place to stay for campus visitors. The hotel is located inside the PMU, and it is next to the Stewart Center which also provides services for visitors. The union’s lost and found is open 24 hours and is located in the Union Club Hotel at the front desk. All of the hotel rooms have air conditioning, private bathrooms, color televisions, internet and phone access, and various other amenities. There is parking conveniently located across the street in the Grant Street Parking garage. Complimentary shuttle service to the Purdue University Airport and to Indianapolis airport are provided. The hotel also provides handicap accessible accommodations if necessary.
Union Rack & Roll
The Union Rack & Roll is the bowling alley located in the basement of the PMU. Its hours of operation are Sunday- Thursday from 10:00 a.m. - 12:00 a.m. and Friday- Saturday from 10:00 a.m. – 1:00 a.m. The Union Rack & Roll has music, laser lights, as well as glow in the dark bowling. Besides bowling, there is also an arcade and a pool hall located in the Union Rack and Roll. Reservations are available for birthday parties or other private events.
The PMU offers a variety of services to students, staff, and visitors as well. There are financial offices, student services, as well as many restaurants.
ATMs are located on the main floor of the union just outside the Cashier Office. The Cashier Office allows students and faculty to cash checks of up to $50. The PEFCU (Purdue Employees Federal Credit Union) is located on the main floor as well. The Boiler Copy Maker is a copy center available for students and staff to make copies as well as to buy software. The Card Services office is where students and staff may go to have their Purdue ID card printed. BoilerExpress accounts for Purdue ID cards may also be set up through this office. (BoilerExpress accounts are for students to easily pay for laundry or other items at campus minimarts. Money is loaded onto the student’s Purdue ID.) There is a UPS Store located in the PMU that offers full service packaging and receiving, and various other mail services. The Purdue Shop in the union is one of the many places on campus to purchase Purdue apparel.
The PMU offers many dining options. There are cafés to grab a quick lunch, restaurants to have a full meal in, and places to get a hot or cold drink. Restaurants include:
- Flatbreads - a gourmet sandwich, salad and soup concept featuring hot artisan breads baked in a gas-fired, open-hearth oven
- Oasis Café - a full line of richly brewed Seattle's Best™ coffee, an abundance of freshly baked pastries, fresh bagels and breakfast sandwiches
- Urban Market - upscale convenience store featuring organic, sustainable and natural foods, with a new cereal bar concept called Loops
- Lemongrass - wok-fired entrees and Pho soups emphasizing vegetables, sauces, and spices found in Thailand and Vietnam
- Ah-Z - sushi bar
- Tasty Bite - Indian inspired cuisine
- La Salsa - "south of the border" cuisine featuring high quality, fresh ingredients, and a famous salsa bar
- Sagamore - contemporary style dining featuring an upscale menu and a hot action station with a soup and salad bar
- Villa Fresh Italian Kitchen - pizza, pasta, garlic breadsticks
- Pick & Mix Salads - made-to-order custom salads
- Pappy’s Sweet Shop - burgers, fries, grilled cheese, and Nathan's Famous Hot Dogs, as well as ice cream, shakes, malts, sundaes, and more
- Starbucks - full menu offering both hot and cold drinks, as well as whole bean coffee and retail merchandise
- Freshens - crepes, smoothies, and frozen yogurt
Purdue Student Union Board
The Purdue Student Union Board (PSUB) is a student organization that provides programs and services for students, staff, and the community of West Lafayette. PSUB was an organization before the union was built and it helped fund the building. In 1920 when the organization started it had only a few members, but it now has over a hundred. Students may join PSUB at no cost and there are different positions students can choose to be involved in. Students in this organization plan fun events and activities for the Purdue community.
- “History of the Union”, Purdue Memorial Union, 2011 http://www.union.purdue.edu/Home/
- “Union Club Hotel”, Purdue Memorial Union, 2011 http://www.union.purdue.edu/HTML/UnionClubHotel/
- “Rack and Roll”, Purdue Memorial Union, 2011 http://www.union.purdue.edu/HTML/RackAndRoll/
- “Services”, Purdue Memorial Union, 2011 http://www.union.purdue.edu/HTML/Services/
- “Purdue Student Union Board”, Purdue Memorial Union, 2011 http://www.union.purdue.edu/HTML/PSUB/