Kováč at West Ham, November 2009
|Full name||Radoslav Kováč|
|Date of birth||27 November 1979|
|Place of birth||Šumperk, Czechoslovakia|
|Height||1.89 m (6 ft 2 in)|
|Playing position||Centre back / Defensive midfielder|
|1988–1990||Spartak Loučná nad Desnou|
|2009||→ West Ham United (loan)||9||(1)|
|2009–2011||West Ham United||44||(2)|
|1999–2002||Czech Republic U-21||15||(0)|
|* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only and correct as of 2 August 2013, 20:00 (UTC).
† Appearances (Goals).
Radoslav Kováč (Czech pronunciation: [ˈradoslaf ˈkovaːt͡ʃ]; born 27 November 1979) is a Czech footballer who currently plays for Sparta Prague. He plays midfield and defence. He previously played for Sigma Olomouc, Sparta Prague, Spartak Moscow, West Ham United, FC Basel and Slovan Liberec. On 6 January 2010, he announced his retirement from international football after representing the Czech Republic U21 and the senior team for nine years.
Having come through the ranks of Sigma Olomouc, Kováč joined Sparta Prague in 2004. In July 2005, he moved to Russia, where he signed for Spartak Moscow. During a Moscow derby against Lokomotiv Moscow on 20 July 2008, Kováč received a yellow card for tackling a fan who invaded the pitch.
West Ham United
On 30 January 2009, he moved on loan to West Ham United for the remainder of the 2008–09 season. He made his debut for West Ham on 25 February 2009 in a 2–0 FA Cup defeat to Middlesbrough. His first goal for West Ham came in their 3–1 away defeat to Everton on 16 May 2009.
Kováč signed a permanent contract with West Ham United on 11 August 2009 on a three-year contract. He scored his first goal of the 2009–10 season against Portsmouth in the 89th minute on 26 December, playing 90 minutes in a 2–0 win at Upton Park. At the end of the 2010/2011 season, with twelve months left on his contract and after 62 league and cup appearances, Kováč left West Ham United.
In July 2011 Kováč joined reigning Swiss Super League champions F.C. Basel for an undisclosed fee on a two-year contract. He made his debut for his new club on 16 July 2011 in the Stade de Suisse, Wankdorf in the 1–1 away draw against BSC Young Boys. At the end of the 2011–12 season he won the Double, the League Championship title and the Swiss Cup with Basel. Kováč scored his first goal for Basel in the 1–1 away draw against Sion on 4 August 2012.
Kováč made his debut on 9 October 2004 in a 1–0 friendly win against Romania. Kováč appeared for his nation in the 2006 World Cup and Euro 2008. With the Czech Republic failing to qualify for the 2010 World Cup, Kováč announced his retirement from international football in January 2010, in order to focus on his club career.
- Scores and results list Czech Republic's goal tally first.
|1||28 March 2007||Liberec, Czech Republic||Cyprus||1–0||Win||UEFA Euro 2008 qualifying|
|2||19 November 2008||Serravalle, San Marino||San Marino||3–0||Win||2010 World Cup qualifying|
Titles and honours
- "Player Profile". Whufc.com. Retrieved 2010-04-28.
- Addison, Joe (23 July 2008). "Yellow card for taking down intruder". Soccer America. Retrieved 29 August 2014.
- "Czech Kovac joins Hammers on loan". BBC Sport. 30 January 2009. Retrieved 2009-01-31.
- "Middlesbrough 2–0 West Ham". BBC Sport. 25 February 2009. Retrieved 2009-02-26.
- Everton 3–1 West Ham www.bbc.co.uk
- Ashley Gray (11 August 2009). "West Ham sign Czech hardman Radoslav Kovac on permanent deal from Spartak Moscow". Dailymail.co.uk. Retrieved 2010-04-28.
- "Welcome to the Wonderful World of West Ham United Statistics Radoslav Kovac". www.westhamstats.info. Retrieved 2011-07-25.
- "Kovac departs". www.whufc.com. Retrieved 24 June 2011.
- "Jetzt hat Basel den Titel auf sicher". football.ch. 2012. Retrieved 2012-04-29. (German)
- "Matchtelegram FC Basel 1893 5:3 FC Luzern". football.ch. 2012. Retrieved 2012-05-16. (German)
- Meister, Remo (2012). "Der FCB holt beim Leader ein Remis". FC Basel1893. Retrieved 2012-08-04. (German)
- West Ham and Czech Republic midfielder Radoslav Kovac calls time on international career www.football.co.uk
- "West Ham's Radoslav Kovac retires from Czech Republic". BBC Sport. 6 January 2010.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Radoslav Kováč.|
- Radoslav Kováč career stats at Soccerbase
- Radoslav Kováč international stats at the Football Association of the Czech Republic website (Czech)
- Premier League profile