|Founder||Sean Daley (Slug)
Anthony Davis (Ant)
Musab Saad (Musab)
Brent Sayers (Siddiq)
|Distributor(s)||Warner Music Group|
|Country of origin||United States|
Rhymesayers Entertainment is an independent hip hop record label based in Minneapolis, Minnesota. It was co-founded in 1995 by Sean Daley (Slug), Anthony Davis (Ant), Musab Saad (Musab) and Brent Sayers (Siddiq). It is the largest hip-hop label in Minnesota.
Rhymesayers Entertainment is mainly composed of native Minnesotans as well as nationally recognized artists including Jake One, Freeway, Evidence, and MF Doom, who has released one album, Mm.. Food for the label. It has a friendly relationship with the Doomtree crew as well. P.O.S of Doomtree is signed as a solo artist to the label.
In 1999, the label opened its own record store called Fifth Element, located in Uptown, Minneapolis. The store is a staple of hip hop in the Twin Cities, selling independent and commercial hip hop, but also specializing in local music, clothing, paint supplies, books, and more.
Since 2008, the label has curated Soundset Festival, routinely drawing over 20,000 fans to Minnesota to see some of the top names in mainstream and independent music. 2013 was the Sixth anniversary of the festival and was held in Shakopee, MN's Canterbury Park for the fifth year with record attendance.
2012 saw the releases of I Self Devine's The Sound Of Low Class Amerika, Brother Ali's Mourning In America and Dreaming In Color produced entirely by Jake One, and We Don't Even Live Here, a new album from P.O.S.
In 2013, The Uncluded (Aesop Rock & Kimya Dawson) released their debut album Hokey Fright, and The Micranots' 2000 release Obelisk Movements was re-released. P.O.S released an EP "WDELH/MDS/RMX", Along with the re-release of Atmosphere's Seven's Travels on vinyl to celebrate the 10 year anniversary of its release.
In 2014, The Step Brothers released their debut album Lord Steppington and Grieves released Winter and The Wolves. Eyedea's "The Many Faces of Oliver Hart" was re-released on vinyl. Atmosphere's Southsiders was released on May 6.
- Abstract Rude
- Aesop Rock
- Atmosphere (Slug, Ant)
- Brother Ali
- Dem Atlas
- Dilated Peoples (Evidence, DJ Babu, Rakaa Iriscience)
- DJ Abilities
- DJ Nikoless
- Eyedea & Abilities
- Face Candy (Eyedea, Kristoff Krane, J.T. Bates, Casey O'Brien)
- Felt (Murs, Slug)
- Grayskul (Onry Ozzborn, JFK)
- Hail Mary Mallon (Aesop Rock, Rob Sonic, DJ Big Wiz)
- I Self Devine
- Jake One
- Los Nativos (Yai y Toly)
- Micranots (I Self Devine, Kool Akiem)
- MF DOOM
- Mr. Dibbs
- Psalm One
- Semi-Official (I Self Devine, DJ Abilities)
- Soul Position (Blueprint, RJD2)
- Step Brothers (Evidence, The Alchemist)
- The Uncluded (Aesop Rock, Kimya Dawson)
- Toki Wright
- Artists formerly signed to the label include
- Swensson, Andrea. (2013-11-12) Dem Atlas signs to Rhymesayers Entertainment | Local Current Blog | The Current from Minnesota Public Radio. Blog.thecurrent.org. Retrieved on 2014-05-12.
- Rhymesayers Entertainment :: Posts. Rhymesayers.com (2013-12-03). Retrieved on 2014-05-12.