Riverside Municipal Airport
|Riverside Municipal Airport|
|IATA: RAL – ICAO: KRAL – FAA LID: RAL|
|Operator||City of Riverside|
|Elevation AMSL||818 ft / 249 m|
Riverside Municipal Airport (Riverside Arlington Airport, decades ago) (IATA: RAL, ICAO: KRAL, FAA LID: RAL), is a public airport four miles (6 km) southwest of downtown Riverside, the county seat of Riverside County, California.
Runway 9/27 was paved about 1956 and Bonanza Air Lines appeared soon after. Until 1969 it and successor Air West flew DC-3s and Fairchild F-27s to LAX, Las Vegas, Palm Springs and beyond. Golden West Airlines served Riverside during the 1970s with nonstop and direct de Havilland Canada DHC-6 Twin Otters to LAX.
Riverside Municipal Airport has been home to Civil Air Patrol Squadron 5 since 2005.
"FedEx Express donated a Boeing 727-200F to California Baptist University for its new aviation science program. The aircraft will be on permanent display at the airport and will provide a working laboratory for aviation science students." The aircraft, N266FE (cn 21672/1538), is a Boeing 727-233/Adv(F). A video of its arrival on January 10, 2013 can be found here.
The airport's control tower, staffed by air traffic controllers contracted by the FAA, is scheduled to close on April 7, 2013 due to the sequestration effects of the Budget Control Act of 2011.
- Runway 9/27: 5,400 x 100 ft. (1,646 x 30 m) Asphalt
- Runway 16/34: 2,850 x 48 ft. (869 x 15 m) Asphalt
- Helipad H1: 60 x 60 ft. (18 x 18 m) Asphalt
Should there be plans to expand, the Airport's Master Plan supports lengthening runway 9/27 to 6,153 feet (1,875 m). Runway 27 has a Visual Approach Slope Indicator.
- FAA Airport Master Record for RAL ( PDF)
- Western Air Express (official site)
- "FedEx donates Boeing 727 to CBU Aviation Science program". PR Newswire. Retrieved 2013-02-03.
- U.S. Contract Tower Association Annual Report 2012
- FAA Contract Tower Closure List
- "RivCo official pleads with FAA to keep Riverside Municipal Airport's air traffic controllers employed"
- Riverside Municipal Airport (official City of Riverside web site)
- Riverside Airshow
- Civil Air Patrol, Senior Squadron 5
- (PDF), effective November 14, 2013
- Resources for this airport: