|Member of the Canadian Parliament
November 27, 2000 – September 17, 2014
|Preceded by||Cliff Breitkreuz|
|Succeeded by||Jim Eglinski|
December 19, 1953 |
|Political party||Canadian Alliance (2000-2003), Conservative (2003-2014)|
Robert "Rob" Merrifield, PC, (born December 19, 1953) is a Canadian politician and diplomat. He is the former Member of Parliament for Yellowhead, and was the Minister of State for Transport from October 2008 to May 2011. In September 2014 he resigned as an Member of the Canadian House of Commons to accept an appointment from Alberta Premier Jim Prentice to be the province's envoy to the United States in Washington, D.C. where he will lobby for approval of the Keystone XL pipeline.
His accomplishments included revitalizing Marine Atlantic with two new ferries, initiating Canada Post's postal transformation, and overseeing the rollout of Transport Canada's Alberta and Saskatchewan infrastructure funds as a part of Canada's Economic Action Plan.
Merrifield was first elected to represent Yellowhead in 2000. He was re-elected in 2004, 2006, and 2008. Merrifield resigned his seat on September 17, 2014 to accept an appointment from Alberta Premier Jim Prentice as the province's envoy to the United States.
His past community involvement has included terms as chair and elected board member of the Whitecourt School District Board of Trustees, chair and vice-chair of the Whitecourt/Fox Creek Hospital Board, member of the Aspen Regional Health Authority, member of the Northern Gateway Regional Division No. 10 School Authority and elected member of the Woodland County Council.
- Brigette Jobin (2008-09-17). "Meet your candidate — Rob Merrifield". Whitecourt Star (Sun Media Corporation). Retrieved 2012-05-04.
- "Most MPs keep distance from Alberta Tory race". CBC.ca. 30 November 2006. Archived from the original on 17 August 2010. Retrieved 17 August 2010.
- Armstrong, Neal (25 May 2010). "Euro seen heading for parity with dollar". The Province. Archived from the original on 17 August 2010. Retrieved 17 August 2010.
- "Prentice appoints Conservative MP as Alberta’s envoy to U.S.". Globe and Mail. September 17, 2014. Retrieved September 17, 2014.
- "History of Federal Ridings since 1867: YELLOWHEAD, Alberta (1976 - )". www2.parl.gc.ca. Parliament of Canada. Archived from the original on 17 August 2010. Retrieved 17 August 2010.
- "Federal Conservative party losing another MP. Rob #Merrifield quitting to take job as Alberta gov't rep to United States. #cdnpoli #abpoli". Twitter. CBC News Alerts. Retrieved June 5, 2013.
- Wingrove, Josh (September 17, 2014). "Prentice to appoint Conservative MP as Alberta’s envoy to U.S.". The Globe and Mail. Retrieved September 17, 2014.