Robert Lacey at Surrey County Library's speaking event in 2012
|Born||3 January 1944|
|Occupation||British historian and biographer|
Robert Lacey (born 3 January 1944) is a British historian and biographer. He is the author of a number of bestselling biographies, including those of Henry Ford and Queen Elizabeth II, as well as works of popular history.
Lacey's 1981 work The Kingdom and its 2009 follow-up Inside the Kingdom have now both been cited as standard study texts for the diplomatic community working inside the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia. - David Brancaccio said: "In Saudi Arabia, Robert Lacey had the kind of access most journalists only dream of."
Lacey is also ABC's Good Morning America Royal commentator and was in London for the channel covering the Royal Wedding of Prince William and Kate Middleton. He was also seen on the BBC's late evening coverage of the event.
Lacey is an alumnus of Bristol Grammar School and a graduate of Selwyn College in the University of Cambridge where he earned a B.A. in 1967, a diploma of education in 1967, and an M.A. in 1970. He began his writing career as a journalist on the Illustrated London News, and later The Sunday Times.
His first marriage to Sandi (the former Alexandra Jane Avrach) ended in 2004 in a legal separation after 34 years and three children - Sasha, Scarlett and Bruno. In August 2012 Lacey remarried to Lady Jane Rayne, daughter of the 8th Marquess of Londonderry, and widow of property developer Max Rayne. She was a charity worker in the east end of London, and later with the Chiswick Women’s Shelter and the Chickenshed Theatre Company. She also served as maid of honour at the Coronation of Queen Elizabeth II.
- Robert, Earl of Essex: An Elizabethan Icarus (1971)
- The Life and Times of Henry VIII (1972)
- The Queens of the North Atlantic (1973)
- Sir Walter Ralegh (1973)
- Majesty (1977)
- The Kingdom (1981), History of Saudi Arabia to 1979.
- Princess (1982) With Michael Rand.
- Aristocrats (1983)
- Ford (1986)
- God Bless Her! (1987)
- Little Man: Meyer Lansky and the Gangster Life (1991)
- Grace (1994)
- Sotherby's: Bidding for class (1998)
- The Queen Mother's Century (1999) With Michael Rand.
- The Year 1000: What Life Was Like at the Turn of the First Millennium (1999, with Danny Danziger)
- Royal (2002)
- Monarch, Life and Reign of Elizabeth II (2002)
- Great Tales from British History, Volume 1 (2003)
- Great Tales from British History, Volume 2 (2005)
- Great Tales from British History, Volume 3 (2006)
- Inside the Kingdom (2009), History of Saudi Arabia from 1979 to date.
- A Brief Life of the Queen (2012)
- Gulf Charities and Islamic Philanthropy in the Age of Terror and Beyond (2014) With Jonathan Benthall)
- New York Times, 28 June 1987
- – PBS Transcript: Rehab for Terrorists?
- abcnews.go.com – EXCERPT: Inside the Kingdom
- Sony ebook website
- Robert Lacey website
- Inside the Kingdom – The Official Website for Robert Lacey's Book
- Transcript: Rehab for Terrorists?
- Works by Robert Lacey on Open Library at the Internet Archive