Robert Redeker is a French writer and philosophy teacher. He was teaching at the Pierre-Paul-Riquet high school, in Saint-Orens-de-Gameville, and at the École Nationale de l'Aviation Civile. He is currently in hiding under police protection.
On September 19, 2006, a few days before the Islamic month of Ramadan, he wrote an opinion piece for Le Figaro, a French secular and conservative newspaper, which quickly removed the article from its public database. In it, he attacked Islam and Muhammad, writing: "Pitiless war leader, pillager, butcher of Jews and polygamous, this is how Mohammed is revealed by the Koran." He called the Qur'an "a book of incredible violence", adding: "Jesus is a master of love, Muhammad a master of hate." That day's issue of Le Figaro was banned in Egypt and Tunisia. Afterwards, Redeker received various death threats originating from one Islamist website (where he was sentenced to death; they posted his address and a photograph of his home). He requested and was given police protection. A man has been arrested because of a hate mail he sent to Redeker.
On October 3, 2006 a group of renowned French intellectuals published "appel en faveur de Robert Redeker" (an appeal in support of Robert Redeker) in Le Monde, among them Elisabeth Badinter, Alain Finkielkraut, André Glucksmann, Claude Lanzmann (with the editorial staff of "Les Temps Modernes") and Bernard-Henri Lévy. They see their most fundamental liberties endangered by a handful of fanatics under the pretense of religious laws, and decry the tendency in Europe to avoid "provocations" in order to not anger supposed foreign sensitivities. The vast majority of the "official" responses was, however, hostile to the ex-philosophy teacher - including France's 'Le Monde' who "characterized Redeker’s piece as “excessive, misleading, and insulting.”
- Chrisafis, Angelique (2006-10-04). "French philosophy teacher in hiding after attack on Islam". London: The Guardian.
- Sciolino, Elaine (2006-09-30). "Teacher in Hiding After Attack on Islam Stirs Threats". New York Times. Retrieved 2010-05-22.
- "Teacher in hiding after attacking Islam". Financial Times. 2006-09-26.
- "Un appel en faveur de Robert Redeker". Le Monde. 2006-10-03.
- (French) Official site of Robert Redeker
- (French) "Face aux intimidations islamistes, que doit faire le monde libre?" (text of the article published in Le Figaro)
- (English) "What should the free world do while facing Islamist intimidation?" (English translation)
- (English) Young Islamist Arrested in Morocco in Relation to French Writer Robert Redeker Threat Case
- (English) Berman, Russell. "Robert Redeker on the 'Free World' and Islam", Telos Press, October 4, 2006.
- (English) Berman, Russell. "Robert Redeker: On Religions and Violence", Telos Press, October 5, 2006.
- (English) Poller, Nidra “Refugee in his Own Country” Standpoint magazine, February 2009