Rogue Trader (film)
|Directed by||James Dearden|
|Produced by||Janette Day
|Written by||James Dearden
Nick Leeson (autobiography)
|Music by||Richard Hartley|
|Edited by||Catherine Creed|
|Distributed by||Pathé (UK)
|June 25, 1999 (UK, USA)
November 25, 1999 (Australia)
|Box office||£969,565 (UK sub-total)|
Rogue Trader is a 1999 drama film directed by James Dearden about former derivatives broker Nick Leeson and the 1995 collapse of Barings Bank. Based on Leeson's 1996 book Rogue Trader: How I Brought Down Barings Bank and Shook the Financial World it stars Ewan McGregor and Anna Friel.
Rogue Trader tells the true story of Nick Leeson, an employee of Barings Bank who after a successful spell working for the firm's office in Indonesia is sent to Singapore as General Manager of the Trading Floor on the SIMEX exchange. The movie follows Leeson's rise as he soon becomes one of Barings' key traders. However, everything isn't as it appears — through the 88888 error account, Nick is hiding huge losses as he gambles away Baring's money with little more than the bat of an eyelid from the powers-that-be back in London.
Eventually the losses mount up to well over £800 million and Nick, along with his wife Lisa, decide to leave Singapore and escape to Malaysia. Nick doesn't realise the severity of his losses until he reads in the newspaper that Barings has gone bankrupt. They then decide to return to London but Nick is arrested en route in Frankfurt. Nick is extradited to Singapore where he is sentenced to six and a half years in jail and is diagnosed with colon cancer. Because of this, he did not complete his sentence.
- Ewan McGregor as Nick Leeson
- Anna Friel as Lisa Leeson
- Tim McInnerny as Tony Hawes
- Nigel Lindsay as Ron Baker
- John Standing as Peter Baring
- Lee Ross as Danny Argyropoulos
- Yves Beneyton as Pierre Beaumarchais
- Betsy Brantley as Brenda Granger
- Caroline Langrishe as Ash Lewis
- Ivan Heng as Bartender
Release and distribution
Rogue Trader was poorly received by critics, as the film holds a 30% rating on Rotten Tomatoes based on 23 reviews.
- "Risky business", The Guardian, 1999-06-08, retrieved 2012-02-23
- Mink, Eric (1999-06-25), "Obi-Wan Dons Coat & Tie as 'Rogue Trader'", Daily News, retrieved 2012-02-23
- Rogue Trader at the Internet Movie Database
- Rogue Trader at AllMovie
- Rogue Trader at Rotten Tomatoes
|This article related to a British film of the 1990s is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This 1990s drama film–related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|