||This biographical article needs additional citations for verification. (August 2011)|
|This article relies too much on references to primary sources. (July 2011)|
Rosaria Conte (Foggia, 1952) is an Italian social scientist. She is the head of the Laboratory of Agent Based Social Simulation at the Istc-Cnr in Rome, which hosts an interdisciplinary research group working at the intersection among cognitive, social and computational sciences. She was President of European Social Simulation Association and ISC (Italian Cognitive Science Association). Rosaria Conte published more than 130 works among volumes, papers in scientific journals, conference proceedings and book chapters. Her scientific activity aims at explaining social behaviour among intelligent autonomous systems, and modeling the dynamics of norms and norm-enforcement mechanisms (including reputation and gossip). Her research is characterized by a highly interdisciplinary approach, at the intersection among cognitive, social and computational sciences.
Conte studied philosophy at the Sapienza University of Rome. In 1980 she received a Postdoctoral Fellowship at Department of Sociology, UCSD, USA, under the supervision of the sociologist Aaron Cicourel. In 1985 she completed her education with a visiting period at the Department of Psychology of the Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, USA.
Rosaria Conte's scientific interest focused on Social order, Agent Theory, Emergence and the Evolution of Social institutions, Deontic logic, Social simulation and Cultural evolution. From 1982 to 2001 she was Junior Scientist at the Institute of Psychology (IP, now Institute of Cognitive Science and Technology, ISTC) of Cnr. In 1998 she became the head of Laboratory of Agent Based Social Simulation (LABSS), at Istc-Cnr. In the same period she started teaching Social Psychology at the University of Siena.
In 2001 she became Honorary Associate Researcher at Center for Policy Making of Business School, Manchester Metropolitan University, UK. In 2006 she was elected President of AISC (Italian Cognitive Science Association), and in 2008 became President of the European Social Simulation Association.
She is now a member of the newly established Rome Node of the Center of Interactive Intelligent Systems (CIIS) of the University of Plymouth, UK.
- D. Villatoro, G.Andrighetto, R. Conte, J. Sabater-Mir (2011), Dynamic Sanctioning for Robust and Cost-Efficient Norm Compliance, In Proceedings of the Twenty-Second International Joint Conference on Artificial Intelligence (IJCAI 2011). http://www.istc.cnr.it/bibtex.php?id=2669
- F. Giardini, R. Conte (2011), Gossip for Social Control in Natural and Artificial Societies, Simulation: Transactions of the Society for Modeling and Simulation International. http://sim.sagepub.com/content/early/2011/05/19/0037549711406912.full.pdf
- Andrighetto, G., Villatoro, D., Conte, R (2010). Norm internalization in artificial societies, in AI Communications, pp. 1-15. http://www.deepdyve.com/lp/ios-press/norm-internalization-in-artificial-societies-QwnPbkdiGX
- Conte, R. (2010) Rational, Goal-directed Agents. Encyclopedia of Complex Social Systems, Springer, Encyclopedia. http://www.istc.cnr.it/bibtex.php?id=2245
- Tummolini, L., Andrighetto, G., Castelfranchi, C. & Conte, R. (pres). A convention or (tacit) agreement betwixt us: on reliance and its normative consequences. Synthese. http://cnr-it.academia.edu/LucaTummolini/Papers/152049/A_convention_or_tacit_agreement_betwixt_us_on_reliance_and_its_normative_consequences
- Campennì, M., Cecconi, F., Andrighetto, G., Conte, R., (2010). Norm and Social Compliance A Computational Study. The International Journal of Agent Technologies and Systems (IJATS), 2 (1), 50-62. http://www.igi-global.com/bookstore/article.aspx?titleid=39032
- Cecconi, F., Campennì, M., Andrighetto, G., Conte, R., (2010). What Do Agent-Based and Equation-Based Modelling Tell Us About Social Conventions: The Clash Between ABM and EBM in a Congestion Game Framework. Journal of Artificial Societies and Social Simulation 13 (1) 6. http://jasss.soc.surrey.ac.uk/13/1/6.html
- Conte, R., Andrighetto, G., Campennì, M. (2010). Internalizing Norms. A cognitive model of (social) norms' internalization. The International Journal of Agent Technologies and Systems (IJATS), 2 (1), 63-73. http://www.igi-global.com/bookstore/article.aspx?titleid=39033
- Pitt, J., Conte, R., Dung, P., Sartor, G., Troitzsch, K., Draief, M., Andrighetto, G. (2010). Modular Argumentation and the Dynamics of (Il)Legality: A Position Statement on ICT for Governance and Policy Modelling. Best Contributions on the State of the Art and Future of ICT for Governance and Policy Modelling. http://crossroad.epu.ntua.gr/files/2010/04/13_moduleg.pdf
- Campennì, M., Andrighetto, G., Cecconi, F., Conte, R. (2009). Normal = Normative? The Role of Intelligent Agents in Norm Innovation. Mind & Society, 8, 153-172. http://econpapers.repec.org/article/sprminsoc/v_3a8_3ay_3a2009_3ai_3a2_3ap_3a153-172.htm
- Paolucci M., Conte R. (2009). Reputation: Social Transmission for Partner Selection. In Trajkovski G. P. & Collins S. G. (Eds.), Handbook of Research on Agent-Based Societies: Social and Cultural Interactions (pp. 243-260). Hershey: IGI Publishing. http://www.istc.cnr.it/doc/70a_553p_PaolucciConteComplete.pdf
- Paolucci, M., Eymann, T., Jager, W., Sabater-Mir, J., Conte, R., Marmo, S., Picascia, S., Quattrociocchi, W., Balke, T., Koenig, S., Broekhuizen, T., Trampe, D., Tuk, M., Brito, I., Pinyol, I., Villatoro, D. (2009). Social Knowledge for e-Governance: Theory and Technology of Reputation. Roma: ISTC-CNR. http://www.bwl7.uni-bayreuth.de/en/research/publications/2009/Social_Knowledge_for_e-Governance_Theory_and_Technology_of_Reputation/index.html
- Quattrociocchi, W., & Paolucci, M., & Conte, R. (2009). Image and Reputation coping differently with massive Informational Cheating. In Miltiadis D. Lytras (Ed.), Visioning and Engineering the Knowledge Society. A Web Science Perspective (pp. 574-583). Springer Berlin / Heidelberg. http://www.springerlink.com/content/m448394952870263/
- Conte, R., Paolucci, M., & Sabater Mir, J (2008). Reputation for Innovating Social Networks. Advances in Complex Systems, 11(2), 303-320. http://www.iiia.csic.es/~jsabater/Publications/2007-ESSA.pdf
- Giardini F., Di Tosto G., Conte R. (2008). A Model for Simulating Reputation Dynamics in Industrial Districts. Simulation Modelling Practice and Theory (SIMPAT), 16(2), 231-241. http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1569190X07001529
- Di Tosto G., Paolucci M., Conte R. (2007). Altruism Among Simple and Smart Vampires. International Journal of Cooperative Information Systems, 16(1), 51-66. http://www.mendeley.com/research/altruism-among-simple-and-smart-vampires/
- Conte, R., Castelfranchi, C. (2006). The Mental Path of Norms. Ratio Juris, 19 http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1467-9337.2006.00342.x/abstract
- Paolucci, M., Conte, R., Di Tosto, G. (2006). A Model of Social Organization and the Evolution of Food Sharing in Vampire Bats. Adaptive Behavior, 14(3), 223-239. http://adb.sagepub.com/content/14/3/223.abstract
- Sabater, J., Paolucci, M., & Conte, R. (2006). Repage: REPutation and ImAGE Among Limited Autonomous Partners. Journal of Artificial Societies and Social Simulation, 9(2) http://econpapers.repec.org/article/jasjasssj/2005-17-3.htm
- Conte R., Paolucci M. (2004). Responsibility for Societies of Agents. Journal of Artificial Societies and Social Simulation, 7:4 http://econpapers.repec.org/article/jasjasssj/2003-49-2.htm
- Conte R. (2003). Review of simulating organizations: Computatioal models of institutions and groups. Journal of Artificial Societies and Social Simulation, N° 6. http://jasss.soc.surrey.ac.uk/6/2/reviews/conte.html
- Conte R. (2002). Adaptive Agents, Intelligence, and Emergent Human Organization: Capturing Complexity through Agent-Based Modeling: Agent-based modeling for understanding social intelligence, PNAS 2002. http://www.pnas.org/content/99/suppl.3/7187.full.pdf
- Rosaria Conte. Laboratory of Agent Based Social Simulation. Retrieved 26 August 2011.