|Instruments||Digital Audio Workstation
|Labels||Takeover Entertainment Limited
Ruff Sqwad Recordings
DJ Sir Spyro
Ruff Sqwad are one of the founding groups of the grime music genre, that was established in the early 2000s in Bow, East London, and are the longest standing grime group to this day. The group and team emerged on the grime music scene by independently releasing several mixtapes.
- 1 History
- 2 Members
- 3 Timeline
- 4 Albums
- 5 Discography
- 6 See also
- 7 References
- 8 External links
Ruff Squad are a well-respected grime supergroup and known production team. They have released two independent record label studio albums, and they have also released many mixtapes together and as individuals. Their most recent studio album is "Guns and Roses Volume. 2" released in October 2006.
They are well known within the grime music scene, and they are one of the successful rap groups in grime music. Ruff Sqwad in the past used to play at music venues in the United Kingdom non stop since the autumn of 2006, and they used to also appear nearly every month at most grime events especially gig's at The Old Blue Last (Shoreditch, London) until 2010.
- Stryder has been in the grime (music) scene since the early 2000s and has been part of Roll Deep and is still the leader of Ruff Sqwad. He has released many mixtapes and EPs, as well as three Albums, and has achieved considerable mainstream success, including two UK number 1s and many more Europe and UK Top 40 hits.
- Slix has released two solo mixtapes entitled "Down Volume 1" and "Down Volume 2". He had also featured on Tinchy Stryder's 2006 debut mixtape entitled "I'm Back U Know".
Dirty Danger also known as Dirty Dangerous is most known for being a key member of the grime group Ruff Sqwad. The grime MC and producer is from East London has produced numerous tracks for Ruff Sqwad. Ruff Sqwad is also the group in which Tinchy Sryder is affiliated with and Dirt Danger has also produced tracks on Tinchy’s album “Star in the Hood”.
He also produced copious tracks in Ruff Sqwads mixtape “Guns and Roses” volume 1 and 2. He has been involved with the Ruff Sqwad movement from the onset and is a well-known artist within the grime scene. His renowned bars were featured in the track ‘I Ball’ along with Tinchy Stryder and Sway where he shows his versatility and enthusiasm when spitting bars.
- Loose Change
- I Ain't Rich Yet
Rapid (Real name: Prince Owusu-Agyekum born November 8th 1985), is a grime musician and producer. Prince Rapid is the grime (music)/hip hop producer, mixing engineer and mastering engineer for the Ruff Sqwad supergroup and production team.
- Rapid's first production that was recognised within the grime scene was "Tings in Boots". It was also on this track that he made his debut as an MC. However it is in producing where he has made his greater mark to date. Widely acknowledged as being one of the best producers in the grime scene - he is a leading member of the supergroup and production team Ruff Sqwad, and produces many tracks for the supergroup and production team.
- Rapid has made many grime hits since bursting onto the grime scene, ranging from the songs "Move" and "Underground" (featuring Tinchy Stryder), which also featured his vocals. Following his long career and success with grime music, he produces and experiments more with other music genres.
DJ Sir Spyro
DJ Sir Spyro (born 1986), is a DJ and producer. Sir Spyro is the DJ and Computer DJ for the Ruff Sqwad supergroup and production team, also serving as the personal DJ for Tinchy Stryder, and was the most recent member to join the Ruff Sqwad supergroup and production team after being initiated by Tinchy Stryder in 2011.
Ruff Sqwad was first established in the year 2001 by Tinchy Stryder, Slix, Dirty Danger, Rapid, and former members Shifty Rydos and Mad Max, and now forms what is today known as the supergroup and production team Ruff Sqwad.
Shifty Rydos had been a member of Ruff Sqwad since 2001. While in the Ruff Sqwad, Shifty Rydos featured in the 2005 and 2006 Ruff Sqwad albums. In 2004, a grime DJ by name of Scholar became a member of the Ruff Sqwad. DJ Scholar was member of Ruff Sqwad until 2010. In 2006, following the departure of Mad Max, Fuda Guy replaced Mad Max. Fuda Guy was member of the Ruff Sqwad until 2010 along with Shifty Rydos and DJ Scholar.
Years of members
In 2005, Ruff Sqwads first album, Guns and Roses Volume. 1, was released. It was released in March 2005 on the independent record label Ruff Sqwad Recordings, and was very well received by the grime scene. It has been ranked amongst the best full-length studio albums of all time to come from the grime scene. The album was the first of a three-part album series.
Ruff Sqwad's second album, Guns and Roses Volume. 2, was released in October, 2006. It was released on the independent record label Ruff Sqwad Recordings, and was very well received by the grime scene. Along with their debut album, Guns and Roses Volume. 1, it has also been ranked amongst the best full-length studio albums of all time to come from the grime scene. The album was the second of the three-part album series.
|"Anna/Down"||2004||Brandon "Maniac" Jolie|||
(Tinchy Stryder with Ruff Sqwad)
|"Walking U Home"||2008||Jak "FrSH" O'Hare &
Brandon "Maniac" Jolie
|"I Wanna Let U Know"
(with various Grime artists)
|2009||Jak "FrSH" O'Hare|
|"Tryna Be Me"
(Tinchy Stryder with Ruff Sqwad)
|"On My Own"
(Blame with Ruff Sqwad)
|"Champions"||Jak "FrSH" O'Hare|
|"This Side"||2011||Craig Capone|
|"Las Vegas"||Luke Monaghan|
|"Mario Balotelli"||2012||Luke Monaghan & James Barber|||
- TINCHY STRYDER GOES BACK TO GRIME!?. MTV. Retrieved 11 August 2011.
- Ones To Watch – Dirty Danger. sbtv.co.uk. Retrieved 11 August 2011
- "Sir Spyro - July 2011 Mix". pitchcontrollers.blogspot.com. July 7, 2011. Retrieved October 12, 2011.
- Ruff Sqwad Boiler Room SEE YOUTUBE
- The Jam Session with Tinchy Stryder. BBC. Retrieved 11 August 2011.
- Tinchy Stryder the interview. MTV. Retrieved 14 August 2011
- Tinchy does grime with crew member. MTV. Retrieved 14 August 2011.
- Tinchy announces second album. MTV. Retrieved 14 August 2011.
- The Guardian - Artist - Tinchy Stryder. The Guardian. Retrieved 14 August 2011.
- Ruff Sqwad ON The Rise. dropoutuk.com. Retrieved 11 August 2011.
- "Ruff Sqwad - Grimpedia". Grimepedia. Retrieved 2011-08-15.
- Ruff Sqwad - Guns and Roses Volume. 1 - UK Record Shop. www.ukrecordshop.com.
- Ruff Sqwad - Mario Balotelli - YouTube
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Ruff Sqwad.|