|Alma mater||University of North Carolina
University of Chicago
Roberts was awarded a B.A. in economics in 1975 from the University of North Carolina and Ph.D. in economics from the University of Chicago in 1981 for thesis titled A positive analysis of the design of government transfer programs under the supervision of Gary Becker.
Roberts founded and directed the Management Center (now the Center for Experiential Learning) at the John M. Olin School of Business at Washington University in St. Louis. Roberts, is a regular commentator on business and economics for National Public Radio's Morning Edition, and has written for the New York Times and the Wall Street Journal.
Roberts also blogs at Cafe Hayek with Donald J. Boudreaux at George Mason University in Fairfax County, Virginia. He published the novel The Invisible Heart which conveys economic ideas in the context of a narrative. In 2008, Roberts released another novel, The Price of Everything, which addresses concepts such as spontaneous order, price gouging, and market economics in crisis situations.
- The Choice: A Fable of Free Trade and Protection (1st ed.). Prentice Hall. 1994. ISBN 0-13-083008-9. OCLC 29357777.
- The Choice: A Fable of Free Trade and Protection (updated ed.). Prentice Hall. 2000. ISBN 0-13-087052-8. OCLC 491353965.
- The Choice: A Fable of Free Trade and Protection (3rd ed.). Prentice Hall. 2006. ISBN 0-13-143354-7. OCLC 70839758.
- The Invisible Heart: An Economic Romance (1st ed.). The MIT Press. 2002. ISBN 0-262-68135-8. OCLC 44413917.
- The Price of Everything: A Parable of Possibility and Prosperity (1st ed.). Princeton University Press. 2008. ISBN 0-691-14335-8. OCLC 231587398.
- Hoover Institute, Research Fellows, Russell Roberts bio
- Russ Roberts (5 September 2012). "Joining Hoover full-time". Cafe Hayek. Retrieved 24 December 2012.
- The Guardian "Praise of EconTalk"
- EconTalk, hosted by Russ Roberts
- "Russ Roberts' CV". Mercatus Center, George Mason University. Retrieved 29 December 2012.
- "Chris Anderson on Makers and Manufacturing". EconTalk. Retrieved 1 January 2013. "I remember when Gary Becker, my adviser in graduate school wrote a book"
- Cafe Hayek
- Robert's bio at the Mercatus Center
- NPR Commentary, "Economist: Don't Jump the Gun on Stimulus Plans"
- C-SPAN Q&A interview with Roberts and John Papola about Fear the Boom and the Bust and The Fight of the Century, June 26, 2011