|Saitama Seibu Lions – No. 19|
September 5, 1979 |
Santa Barbara, California
|Bats: Right||Throws: Right|
|MLB: July 16, 2005 for the Colorado Rockies|
(through 2011 season)
|Runs batted in||218|
|Career highlights and awards|
Spilborghs was drafted by the Colorado Rockies in the 7th round of the 2002 MLB Draft. Between 2002 and 2005, he played for the Tri-City Dust Devils, Asheville Tourists, Visalia Oaks, and Tulsa Drillers.
He made his Major League debut for the Rockies on July 16, 2005 against the Cincinnati Reds and recorded his first hit in that game, a single to right field off of Todd Coffey. That was the only game he played in for the Rockies that year, spending the rest of the year in AAA with the Colorado Springs Sky Sox, where he hit .338 in 68 games. He rejoined the Rockies in 2006 and hit his first home run on May 29 off of Jim Brower of the San Diego Padres.
He began the 2007 season at Triple-A with the Sky Sox, after being beaten out for a roster spot by veteran Steve Finley. After Finley was released by the Rockies, Spilborghs returned to the team. In 2008, he made the team from spring training, serving as the fourth outfielder.
On December 12, 2011, Spilborghs was non-tendered by the Rockies and became a free agent.
Spilborghs signed a minor league contract with the Cleveland Indians on January 20, 2012. He also received an invitation to spring training. He failed to make the team and was assigned to the AAA Columbus Clippers, where he hit .250 in 21 games.
Spilborghs is of mixed descent, as his father is Belgian, and his mother is Guatemalan. On July 20, 2009, Ryan's wife gave birth to their daughter and first child, Kiera. Her middle name, Esperanza, was chosen after his mother, who died during spring training earlier in the year.
- July 16, 2005 Rockies vs. Reds box score
- May 29, 2006 Rockies vs. Padres box score
- Ryan Spilborghs a free agent, but could still return to Rockies
- Ryan Spilborghs agrees to minor-league deal with Indians
- Indians send Ryan Spilborghs to Triple-A, release Felix Pie
- Cleveland Indians trade OF Ryan Spilborghs to Texas Rangers
- Ryan Spilborghs signs with Seibu Lions
- When Essie Spells Hope
- Career statistics and player information from MLB, or ESPN, or Baseball-Reference, or Fangraphs, or The Baseball Cube, or Baseball-Reference (Minors)