Salina High School South
|Salina High School South|
|750 East Magnolia Road 
Salina, Kansas, 67401
|School type||Public, High School|
|School district||USD 305 |
|CEEB Code||172687 |
|Principal||Curtis Stevens |
|Athletic Director||Ken Stonebraker |
|Band Director||Darren Brooks|
|Grades||9 to 12|
|Athletics||Class 5A 
District 6 
|Athletics conference||AVCTL I & II |
Salina High School South is a fully accredited public school located in Salina, Kansas, serving students in grades 9-12. The school serves approximately 1,162 students each year, and about 90% of the staff employed at the school are certified, including principal Linn Exline. The school colors are green, gold, and white, and the school mascot is the Cougar. The athletic teams offered at Salina South are varied and compete in the 5A division according to the KSHSAA.
|This section requires expansion. (October 2011)|
Salina South is a brown building distinctly recognized by its three "pods" (circular hallways named the 200, 300, and 400 Pods). Salina South also features doorless classrooms with faux walls. The building has few windows. The school also houses a library, two gymnasiums, an indoor pool with a separate diving section, and auditorium complete with stage and props for plays. Although the school is for the most part single-storied, there is an upstairs office above the library, a basement floor beneath the main office, and a basement floor beneath one of the gymnasiums.
In 2000, the football team won the 5A state championship with a victory over Pittsburg High School. The football team repeated as state champions in 2004 with a victory over Olathe North High School.
|Season||Sport||Number of Championships||Year|
|Cross Country, Boys||2||1984, 1990|
|Cross Country, Girls||1||1984|
|Gymnastics, Boys||2||1973, 1974|
|Winter||Swimming and Diving, Boys||3||1973, 1983, 2010|
|Track & Field, Girls||1||1979|
- 2006 - The debate team qualified a Policy Debate Team for the National Forensics League national tournament for the first time since 1995. This same team, composed of Bret Higgins and Josh Harzman won the 5A 2-Speaker Debate State Tournament. The same year Bret Higgins won the 5A Lincoln-Douglas Debate State Championship.
- 2007 - The Salina South Theatre departments' production of Guys and Dolls received national recognition from USA Weekend's High School Musical Showstopper as one of the top high school productions in America.
- 1984-2005 - The school marching band, the Salina South Marching Cougars, received 21 straight "Superior" ratings for their field performances at the annual Central States Marching Festival held at Kansas State University in Manhattan, Kansas under the leadership of director Randall Fillmore.
- Deborah Daulton-Morton - Miss Kansas USA 1995 
- Brent Venables, defensive coordinator at Clemson University
- Colleen McCain Nelson - 2010 Pulitzer Prize winner for editorial writing, Class of 1992 http://www.pulitzer.org/awards/2010 http://www.salina.com/news/story/Pulitzer-Winner-4-12 Pulitzer Prize for Editorial Writing
- GNIS for Salina High South School; USGS; October 24, 2008.
- USD 305
- High School CEEB Code Search
- "School Search - Salina-South HS". Kansas State High School Activities Association. Retrieved 8 October 2011.
- KSHSAA School Classification List
- KSHSAA School District List
- "State Records & State Champions" (English). Retrieved 2010-02-05.
-  Miss Kansas Teen USA
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Salina High School South.|