Saturday Looks Good to Me
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (May 2013)|
|Saturday Looks Good to Me|
|Origin||Ann Arbor, Michigan, United States|
|Labels||K Records (United States)
Polyvinyl (United States)
HDIF (United Kingdom)
|Associated acts||His Name Is Alive|
Juan Briz Garcia
Betty Marie Barnes
Saturday Looks Good to Me is an American experimental indie pop band that formed in 1999. The group was led by singer-songwriter, producer, and multi-instrumentalist Fred Thomas (former member of His Name Is Alive). Through Thomas, the group's major songwriter, the group created intricate soundscapes which hearkened back to Detroit soul.
The band was originally conceived as a basement recording project and did not play any live shows until 2002. The band built up a considerable following on the back of numerous limited-edition 7" record and CD-R releases, resulting in the indie pop albums All Your Summer Songs, released in 2003 on Polyvinyl Records, and Every Night, released in 2004 on Polyvinyl. All Your Summer Songs was listed as one of the top 50 albums of 2003 by Pitchfork. Every Night introduced new singer Betty Marie Barnes, who became the nearest to a permanent female singer that the band ever had.
By 2007, Barnes had semi-left the band and Thomas took over as the band's sole front person. SLGTM's music also changed and the resulting Fill Up The Room (2007, K Recs) album was more adventurous both lyrically and musically than the band's previous two albums (especially on the six minute 48 second pop odyssey of "When I Lose My Eyes").
Following another European tour in 2008, Thomas retired the band to concentrate on other projects including City Center, and his record label, Life Like.
- Saturday Looks Good to Me (hereforeveralways, 2000)
- Cruel August Moon (Little Hands, 2001)
- Love Will Find You (Whistletap, 2002)
- All Your Summer Songs (Polyvinyl, 2003)
- Every Night (Polyvinyl, 2004)
- Sound on Sound (Redder Records, 2006)
- Fill Up the Room (K Records / How Does It Feel To Be Loved, 2007)
- One Kiss Ends It All (Polyvinyl, 2013)
- Cassingle Series #3 (Sanitary Records, April 2006)
- "The Girl Is Distracted"
- Green Mansions (limited tour EP)
- "Money in the Afterlife" / "All the Sidewalk Birds" (Ernest Jenning Record Co., February 20, 2007)
- Cold Colors EP (Polyvinyl - July 24, 2007)
- "Dianne Falling Off Her Horse" / "Springtime Judgment" (Ernest Jenning Record Co., July 8, 2008)
- "Saturday Looks Good to Me : Tour Tape" cassette (Life Like - 2012)
- "Sunglasses" (Polyvinyl, 2012)
- "Saturday Looks Good To Me official site". Slgtm.com. Retrieved 2013-05-21.
- "Saturday Looks Good To Me - Polyvinyl Artist Page". Polyvinylrecords.com. Retrieved 2013-05-21.
- "Staff Lists: Top 50 Albums of 2003". Pitchfork.com. Retrieved 2013-05-21.
- "Sunglasses 7" & Every Night Vinyl Reissues Out Now - Saturday Looks Good To Me | SLGTM | Official Site". SLGTM. Retrieved 2013-05-21.
- "Record Store Day 2012 - Special Releases". Recordstoreday.com. Retrieved 2013-05-21.
- Official website
- Saturday Looks Good to Me on Myspace
- Saturday Looks Good to Me plays Typing at PSL
- Saturday Looks Good to Me at AllMusic