Save the Manatee Club
|Purpose||The recovery of the manatee species as defined by the federal Endangered Species Act of 1973.|
|Co-Chairs||Jimmy Buffett and Helen Spivey|
Save the Manatee is a 501(c)(3) non-profit group and membership organization. They are the world's leading manatee conservation group. The organizations was founded by singer and songwriter Jimmy Buffett and former U.S. Senator Bob Graham in 1981.
Save the Manatee Club raises funds from the Adopt-A-Manatee program to go toward public awareness and education projects, manatee research, rescue and rehabilitation efforts, advocacy and legal action to ensure better protection for manatees and their habitat. There are currently about 40,000 members who belong to Save the Manatee Club. The Club has also assisted state and federal governments with research projects in Florida such as aerial surveys, seagrass studies, telemetry studies, manatee photo identification projects, population modeling and the compilation of over twenty years of research on the population of Blue Spring manatees.
Save the Manatee Club has provided the funds for tracking Manatees in Belize, to help the Caribbean Stranding Network in Puerto Rico to provide care for orphaned manatees, and to educate villagers in Nicaragua on Manatees.
- Supporting the most effective conservation actions possible
- Making science-based decisions and supporting science-driven policies
- Demanding accountability from policy-makers
- Working cooperatively
"Oh, the Huge Manatee!"
Adopt a Manatee
Save the Manatee Club offers a program called Adopt-A-Manatee. People can adopt a manatee for as little as $25 USD. In 2002, Save the Manatee cared for about 30 manatees. The proceeds from this program mostly go to rehabilitation, research, and education of manatees. Save the Manatee Club gives adopters a picture of their adopted Manatee along with a biography of it.
- "2009 Roster of the Officers and Directors of the Board of Directors" (PDF). Save the Manatee Club. Retrieved June 30, 2012.
- "Jimmy Buffett Continues to do Good with 'Save the Manatee'". Skope Magazine. February 7, 2009. Retrieved 2012-06-30.
- "About SMC". Save the Manatee Club. Retrieved 2012-06-30.
- Liza's Site[dead link]
- Save the Manatee Club http://www.gulfbase.org/organization/view.php?oid=stmc Gulf Base
- International Efforts http://www.lizasreef.com/save_the_manatee_club.htmLiza's Site
- "Teens Helping Manatees From Extinction", Y Press, Indianapolis, October 13, 2002
- "Club Asks: Adopt A Manatee For Easter". New Jersey Today. April 11, 2011.