Schiller International University
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (May 2009)|
Schiller International University is a private American university with its main campus and administrative headquarters in Largo, Florida. It has campuses on two continents in four countries, each offering its own unique experiences to students: Largo; Paris, France; Madrid, Spain; and Heidelberg, Germany. Schiller offers Associate's, Bachelor's and Master's degrees in a number of areas. The University also offers online degrees through its Distance Learning Division.
Founded in 1964 by Dr. Walter Leibrecht as a study-abroad program for Americans in Germany, and as of 2012[update] it provides Undergraduate and Graduate Degrees to students from over 100 countries.
The Heidelberg campus was the first Schiller campus and is still the largest. For years the campus was located in the Villa Krehl in Bergstraße, but in summer of 2012 the campus moved to new facilities in the Bahnstadt. The address of the campus is: Zollhofgarten 1, 69115 Heidelberg, Germany.
The Madrid Campus is located in a historic building on Plaza de la Republica Argentina in Northern Madrid. It is well situated for metro, buses, and trains and is on the corner of the elegant Calle Serrano. The Madrid campus specializes in International Business and in International Relations. In addition to US accreditation, the Madrid campus is recognized by the Comunidad de Madrid, allowing students to apply for "homologación." Madrid can accept students at the start of any month in the year. www.schillermadrid.edu
Schiller first established a London presence in 1971, renting facilities in Birkbeck College. In 1978, an outer London campus in premises owned by the university was established at the historic Wickham Court in West Wickham, Kent. In 1981 the university acquired the former Royal Waterloo Hospital for Children and Women, and established an additional central London campus there until 2010: Royal Waterloo House, 51-55 Waterloo Road, London SE1 8TX. [See The World of Learning, Section Six: American Colleges in the UK, 1988 edition, p. 139 et al.] This facility was vacated in 2010 when a campus was briefly established in the South Bank Technopark Building on the property of London South Bank University in the London Borough of Southwark, England. In 2011, the university said that 80-85% of its students originated from non-European Union countries, and therefore they needed student visas to study at the school. During that year, the United Kingdom placed tighter restrictions on student visas. In response, in August 2011 Schiller stated that it was closing its London campus. William Moore, the executive vice president of Schiller, said that the new visa requirements were the reason why Schiller's London campus closed.
Schiller International University is accredited by the ACICS Accrediting Council for Independent Colleges and Schools, an accrediting body authorized by the US Department of Education to accredit private post-secondary institutions offering programs for careers or professions where business applications or doctrines, supervisory or management techniques, professional or para-professional applications, and other business-related applications support or constitute the career.
The programs include International Business, Business Administration, International Relations and Diplomacy, Management of Information Technology, and Hospitality and Tourism Management. Two year (Associate of Science) programs are offered in International Business, International Hospitality and Tourism Management, and Nursing.
English is the language of instruction on all campuses. Students may relocate from campus to campus while continuing their academic program. Schiller features the American pattern of university education. Every campus is small, so that in can provide individual attention to the students that come from a wide range of nations.
The University is approved for Federal and Veterans' training programs, and also offers a limited number of institutional awards to students - regardless of citizenship - based on need, academic performance, nationality, and grade level (undergraduate or graduate).
Simon Bowthorpe, Chairman & CEO, Media Force One Worldwide.
- "Home." Schiller International University. Retrieved on August 28, 2011. "Main Campus 8560 Ulmerton Road Largo, Florida 33771 "
- "Largo, Florida." Schiller International University. Retrieved on August 28, 2011. "Admissions Office and Central Administration Offices, Campus Offices 8560 Ulmerton Road Largo, Florida 33771 "
- Helfand, Lorri. "Largo makes Schiller a priority." Clearwater Times (Edition of St. Petersburg Times). Thursday February 23, 2006. Page 1. Retrieved from Google News (83 of 108) on August 28, 2011.
- "Paris." Schiller International University. Retrieved on August 28, 2011. "Schiller International University 9, rue Yvart 75015 - Paris FRANCE "
- Rhein-Neckar-Zeitung December 18, 2012, p. 6, http://www.rnz.de/zusammenheidelberg2/00_20121218061046_103153880_Schiller_University_in_neuem_Ambiente_.php
- "Getting here." London South Bank University. Retrieved on August 28, 2011.
- "London." (Image) "Schiller International University. Retrieved on August 28, 2011. "LKIC - Technopark Building 90 London Road London, SE1 6LN "
- Li, Jonathan J. "Stricter Visa Rules in U.K. Put Some Colleges in Bind." 'The New York Times. August 28, 2011. Retrieved on August 28, 2011.
- "International Relations and Schiller International University". StudentAdvisor.
- Schiller International University website
- Schiller International University Heidelberg campus website
- Schiller International University Paris campus website
- Schiller International University Madrid campus website
- Schiller International University Alumni website
- Schiller International University Partner website