July 23, 1975 |
|Spouse(s)||Heo Eun-gyo (2007-2010; divorced)|
|Revised Romanization||Seong Hyeon-a|
Sung Hyun-ah placed second runner-up (or third place) at the Miss Korea pageant in 1994. She was the country's representative at the 1994 Miss International pageant, where she was a semi-finalist and won Miss Photogenic.
Sung made her acting debut in Salut D'Amour, and continued to appear in TV dramas such as See and See Again (also known as Can't Take My Eyes Off You), Should My Tears Show, Hur Jun, One Day Suddenly, Bad Woman, Good Woman, Yi San, and Flames of Desire. She also released an EP in 2004 titled Turn It Up under the name A.One.
But Sung became best known for her strong, sexy roles in films such as Hong Sang-soo's Woman is the Future of Man, Kim Tae-eun's The Intimate, and Kim Ki-duk's Time. She also appeared in The Scarlet Letter and The Customer Is Always Right. In 2007 Sung won the Best Actress award from the Malaga International Fantastic Film Festival in Spain, for her role in the horror film Cello.
No stranger to controversy, Sung was caught for using the drug ecstasy in 2002, and previously published a book containing nude photographs of herself. In 2006, a dispute broke out between Sung and the producers of the movie The Intimate when she protested against their marketing strategy to emphasize only the nude scenes. Sung said, "I filmed the nude scenes to make a good movie. I can't bear to see that such scenes are being used as tools for promotion. I am not an actress who undresses and tumbles about for no reason." She declared that from then on, she would avoid nude scenes altogether.
She married businessman Heo Eun-gyo on December 9, 2007 at the Paradise Hotel in Busan. After she and Heo divorced in 2010, Sung remarried three months later and gave birth to a son in 2012.
In December 2013, Sung was indicted on charges of prostitution, for allegedly receiving ₩50 million from a businessman with whom she met up three times for sexual intercourse in 2010. She countersued to prove her innocence, and the trial is ongoing.
- Time (2006)
- The Customer Is Always Right (2006)
- The Intimate (2005)
- Cello (2005)
- The Scarlet Letter (2004)
- Woman is the Future of Man (2004)
- Live or Die (2003)
- Boss X-File (2002)
- Hallelujah (1997)
- Flames of Desire (MBC, 2010-2011)
- Ja Myung Go SBS, 2009)
- Yi San (MBC, 2007–2008)
- Bad Woman, Good Woman (MBC, 2007)
- One Day Suddenly (SBS, 2006)
- Open Drama Man and Woman "I'm Mr. Heidi and Married" (SBS, 2001)
- Twins (KBS, 2001)
- Lipstick (iTV, 2001)
- MBC Best Theater "Train Heading to Kaikoura" (MBC, 2000)
- Because of You (MBC, 2000)
- Hur Jun (MBC, 1999-2000)
- Should My Tears Show (MBC, 1999)
- Crystal (SBS, 1999)
- Advocate (MBC, 1998)
- See and See Again (MBC, 1998-1999)
- Kim Chang-wan's Three Stories (KBS, 1998)
- Devotion (KBS, 1997)
- 70-Minute Dramas "가방을 든 남자" (SBS, 1997)
- 18 Years of Growing Up (SBS, 1996)
- Exploration of Man (SBS, 1996)
- LA Arirang (SBS, 1995-1996)
- MBC Best Theater "Adelaide" (MBC, 1995)
- Salut D'Amour (KBS2, 1994)
- Scandal 2.0 (tvN, 2009)
- Catch-One's World of Film (Catch-One, 1999)
- 진상을 찾아라 (HBS, 1997)
- 세상체험, 온몸을 던져라 (SBS, 1997)
- 행운의 일요특급 (KBS, 1995)
- 명사 가요초대석 (MBC, 1995)
|Turn It Up|
- 2007 10th Malaga International Fantastic Film Festival: Best Actress (Cello)
- 1994 34th Miss International Pageant: Miss Photogenic
- 1994 38th Miss Korea Pageant: 2nd Runner-up
- "Miss Korea profile: Sung Hyun-ah". Miss Korea via Hankook Ilbo (in Korean). Retrieved 2013-05-25.
- Lee, Min-a (25 December 2006). "For actress, fiction imitates real life". Korea JoongAng Daily. Retrieved 2013-05-25.
- "A.One: Turn It Up". ManiaDB (in Korean). Retrieved 2013-05-25.
- Lee, Seung-jae (27 April 2004). "Woman is the Future of Man?". The Dong-a Ilbo. Retrieved 2013-05-25.
- D'Sa, Nigel (30 May 2006). "KIM Ki-duk's Time to Open Karlovy Vary Fest". Korean Film Council. Retrieved 2013-05-25.
- Paquet, Darcy (23 November 2007). "SUNG Hyun-ah Wins Best Actress at Malaga Festival". Korean Film Council. Retrieved 2013-05-25.
- Kwon, Mee-yoo (28 April 2009). "Drug Scandal Jolts Showbiz Industry". The Korea Times. Retrieved 2013-05-25.
- Chung, Sun-gu; Wohn, Dong-hee (2 June 2004). "Web logs turn into marketing tools for firms". Korea JoongAng Daily. Retrieved 2013-05-25.
- Shin, Hae-in (27 March 2006). "What nude scenes mean for actresses". The Korea Herald via Hancinema. Retrieved 2013-05-25.
- Garcia, Cathy Rose A. (14 October 2007). "Actress Sung to Get Married in December". The Korea Times. Retrieved 2013-05-25.
- "TV Star Sung Hyun-ah Marries Businessman". The Chosun Ilbo. 10 December 2007. Retrieved 2013-05-25.
- Lee, Eun-joo (12 December 2007). "Wedding bells ring overtime on weekend". Korea JoongAng Daily. Retrieved 2013-05-25.
- Cho, Hyun-eui (20 February 2014). "Did Sung get paid W50 mil. for having sex?". The Korea Times. Retrieved 2014-02-21.