The Sharp PC-1500 was a pocket computer produced by Sharp during 1981-1985. A clone was sold as the TRS-80 PC-2. The whole computer was designed around the LH5801, an 8-bit CPU similar to the Zilog Z80, but all laid-out in power-saving CMOS circuits. Equipped with 2KB of on-board RAM, the programming language is BASIC. Later German engineers[verification needed] provided an assembler for the machine. Later even a C compiler followed. An external slot is available and accept memory (from 4KB to 32KB) and rom modules.
We know 6 version of this pocket computer with 2KB memory :
- Sharp PC-1500 Japanese version (1981)
- Sharp PC-1500 European version (1982)
- HiradasTechnika PTA-4000 Hungarian licence.
- HiradasTechnika PTA-4000+16 Hungarian licence (with internal 16KB memory extension)
- Sharp PC-1500 Japanese version with blue paint around LCD. Known as PC-1500D.
- Tandy TRS-80 PC2.
And 2 versions wit 8Kb memory :
- Sharp PC-1501 Japanse rework with 8KB memory (1984)
- Sharp PC-1500A European rework with 8KB memory (1984)
- 156×7 pixel LCD
- Integrated speaker
- Integrated RTC
- Memory/cartridge slot
- Expansion port for printer and tape drives
- Battery slot (4×AA)
- Connector for external power supply (Official Adaptor is Sharp EA-150, rated at 500mA @ 9V, comes with the CE-150 printer interface.)
- CE-150 4-Colour Printer/Plotter and Cassette Interface in Travel Case. Known as KA-160 with PTA-4000.
- CE-151 4 KB Memory Module
- CE-152 Cassette Recorder (as external storage)
- CE-153 Software board
- CE-154 Wallet dedicated to PC-1500+CE-150+CE-152+CE-153
- CE-155 8 KB Memory Module
- CE-156 Tape with Katana software
- CE-157 4 KB Memory Module with CR2032 battery data backup and Katana chars ROM
- CE-158 Communication Dock with RS-232c and parallel interface with (4 rechargeable, shrink-wrapped, permanently built-in) NiCd battery (AA) as additional power supply for the computer.
- CE-159 8 KB Memory Module with CR2032 battery data backup
- CE-160 7,6 KB Read only Memory Module with CR2032 battery data backup
- CE-161 16 KB Memory Module with CR2032 battery data backup
- CE-162E Tape and parallel port interface
- CE-163 32 KB 2x 16 KB dual-page Memory Module with CR2032 battery data backup
Note: only one page (16 KB) can be accessed at a time, switchable via the following command in PROG mode:
Page 0 [enter] POKE&5800,0 [enter] Page 1 [enter] POKE&5801,0 [enter]
Related Sharp pocket computers
- Sharp PC-1210
- Sharp PC-1211
- Sharp PC-1251
- Sharp PC-1500
- Sharp PC-1500A upgrade version with 8 KB onboard RAM
- Sharp PC-1501 Japanese version of PC-1500A
- Sharp PC-1600 with more memory and larger multi-line LCD display and more graphics capabilities
BASIC compatibility with early models
Some earlier model PC-1500s will show a value 1 less in the FOR...NEXT counter on exiting the loop compared to later PC-1500s and the PC-1600.
10 FOR K=1 TO 10
20 NEXT K
30 PRINT K
K will be set to 11 on later model PC-1500s and PC-1600s, but will be 10 on early PC-1500s.
Consider this example:
20 FOR K=1 TO 10 STEP 4
40 NEXT K
50 PRINT S
S will be set to 3 on later model PC-1500s and PC-1600s, but will be 4 on early PC-1500s.
Early model PC-1500s evaluate IF...THEN statements differently. The behaviour can be summarised thus:
|PC-1600 / Later PC-1500||≠0||0|
An early model PC-1500 can be detected by using the command: PEEK&C5C0.
If the value returned is 6, it is an early model.
Example program in BASIC
1 ARUN 10 5 REM "PC1500 VAT Program:" 10 INPUT "Price: ";P 20 PRINT P;" ";V*R;" ";P*V*M 30 GOTO 10 40 END
The PC-1500 allows special abbreviations, and the syntax can also look as follows:
20 PRINT P;" ";PV;" ";PVM
Usage of variables
P = Purchase Price
V = VAT (%/100) - To be input by hand before calculation begins, e.g.: V=1.14 (Enter)
M = Markup (%/100) - To be input by hand before calculation begins, e.g.: M=1.15 (Enter)
Display of the answers are as follows
Answer1; Answer2; Answer3
Purchase Price; VAT Price; Sales Price
Value: P; Value: P*V; Value: P*V*M
Line 1 The ARUN command executes every time the computer is switched on and jumps to line 10.
Line 5 This is the REMARK statement (used to include remarks into the source code).
Line 10 The INPUT command asks for input from the user and stores the values in the variable "P".
Line 20 The PRINT command shows the calculated result as follows: 100 114 142.5. The abbreviated form is a special for the PC-1500, as it can only make use of single letter variables and matrixes. This also saves valuable storage space!
Line 30 The GOTO command lets the programme jump back to line 10, to continue the program over
Line 40 The END statement is to be placed on the last line of the code to terminate execution, however in this cas it can be omitted, as it is not really necessary.
- Sharp PC-1600 Operation Manual, 1986, p.355.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Sharp PC-1500.|
- Sharp Programmables
- PC-1500 Data Sheet
- Sharp PC-1500 computer (TRS-80 PC-2) resource page
- PC-1500.info Sharp computer (and clones) resource site
- www.promsoft.com/calcs Sharp Pocket Computers