Siddaganga Institute of Technology
|Siddaganga Institute of Technology..|
|Motto||Work is Worship|
|Director||Dr. M.N. Channabasappa|
|Campus||65 acres (260,000 m2), 70km from Bangalore city on National Highway 4|
|Affiliations||Visveswaraiah Technological University|
Siddaganga Institute of Technology (SIT) is one of the premier technological institutes in the state of Karnataka,located in the town of Tumkur, Karnataka, India. It is one among the 130+ educational institutions run by the Sri Siddaganga Educational Society. This prestigious institute was established in 1963 starting with three Courses leading to Bachelor of Engineering in Civil, Mechanical and Electrical Engineering, and is now offering undergraduate degree courses in 12 disciplines. In addition it also runs post-graduates programmes in 7 disciplines, including MBA and MCA Courses. It has nearly 4000 students pursuing the above courses with a faculty strength of about 273.It became an autonomous institution under Visveswaraiah Technological University in 2007-08 with the last VTU batch graduating in 2010.
- 1 History
- 2 Campus
- 3 Academics
- 4 Facilities
- 5 Awards and recognition
- 6 References
- 7 External links
The Siddaganga Institute of Technology (SIT), Tumkur, Bangalore, is one among the 130+ educational institutions run by the Sri Siddaganga Educational Society. It was established in 1963 starting with three courses leading to Bachelor of Engineering in Civil, Mechanical and Electrical Engineering.
Over the years
The Institute is one of the 14 Engineering Colleges under the Technical Education Quality Improvement Programme (TEQIP) a World Bank Project, administered by the Government of Karnataka in the state and is granted Academic Autonomy from the Year 2007-08. From the academic year 2007-08 the 1st Semester is run under the autonomous status. Its undergraduate courses are Accredited by the National Board of Accreditation (NBA), an Autonomous body of the All India Council of Technical Education (AICTE), New Delhi.
The Sri Siddaganga Educational Society (SSES), Tumkur, the parent body of the SIT, is also running more than 130 Educational Institutions in Karnataka, and Revered His Holiness Dr. Sree Sree Sivakumara Swamiji of Sree Siddaganga Mutt, is its President and Sree Sree Siddalinga Swamiji, is the Vice President of SESS and the Junior Swamiji of the Mutt.
The Institute has 14 Teaching departments, offering 12 Under-graduate and 6 Post-graduate programmes. The Dept. of Placement and Training, the Dept. of Library and the Dept. of Physical Education and the SIT Group of Hostels, offer other supporting services and facilities. Of the 14 Departments, 12 belong to Engineering Disciplines, One each for Architecture and Management, 3 are the Science faculties.
The Institute is spread over 65 Acres with greenery all over, and has a sprawling play ground for indoor and outdoor games like, Football, Hockey, Cricket and Basketball. It has 8 Hostels that accommodate nearly 2000 students.
Under Graduate Courses
- Civil Engineering
- Mechanical Engineering
- Industrial Engineering & Management
- Electrical & Electronics Engineering
- Electronics & Communication Engineering
- Instrumentation Technology
- Information Science & Engineering
- Computer Science & Engineering
- Telecommunications Engineering
- Chemical Engineering
- Bio-Technology Engineering
- Master of Business Administration(MBA)
- Master of Computer Application(MCA)
- M.Tech.(CIVIL Engineering_Structures)
- M.Tech.(Chemical Engineering)
- M.Tech.(Computer Science & Engineering)
- M.Tech. (Thermal Power Engineering)
- M.Tech. (Signal Processing – E & C )
- M.Tech. (Manufacturing Sc.– Engineering)
- M.Tech. (Transport Engg.– Management)
- M.Tech. (Computer Network Engineering)
- M.Tech. (Digital Communication)
- M.Tech. (Computer Integrated Manufacturing)
Ph.D. Programmes (Research centre for M.Sc. Engineering & Ph.D. Degrees)
- P.h.D (Chemical Engineering)
- P.h.D (Civil Engineering)
- P.h.D (Computer Science & Engineering)
- P.h.D (Electronics & Communication Engineering)
- P.h.D (Instruementation Technology)
- P.h.D (Mechanical Engineering)
- P.h.D (Management)
- P.h.D (Mathematics)
- P.h.D (Chemistry)
- P.h.D (Physics)
- P.h.D (Industrial Engineering – Management
- P.h.D (Biotechnology)
- P.h.D (Telecommunication Engineering)
- P.h.D (Master of Computer Applications)
Library and Information Center
The library, centrally located in the campus, is housed in two independent three-storey buildings having a plinth area of 1500 square meters. The library building was built by a donation received from Sri T.N. Kempahonnaiah, a philanthropist from Tumkur. The library has a collection of 70,000 volumes that includes 25,000 volumes under the book bank and about 7600 volumes under SC/ST Book Bank. The collection includes reference works such as dictionaries, encyclopedias, hand books and standards. Nearly 3500 student project dissertations are also housed in separately in the library. The library has a stock of 1000 CDs, DVDs and floppy disks of books and technical periodicals and other audio-visual resources.
The library subscribes to nearly 200 technical periodicals of which about 90 are international, it has also a collection of nearly 3000 back volumes of periodicals. The seating capacity of the library is 450 users, which includes two air-conditioned reading halls of a capacity of 150 users. The library is computerized with web-enabled library software which facilitates within and outside campus accessed to library catalog.
The Birla Auditorium is a centrally located building that facilitates cultural, academic and other co-curricular activities. The auditorium of two floors (with a first floor gallery) has a seating capacity of nearly 1000. It has a wide stage with green rooms and a board room to conduct official meetings of the institute.
The Kennedy Guest House at the entrance provides accommodation for guests on visit to the institute. Named after the former U.S. president John F. Kennedy, it is a two floor building surrounded by lush green lawns. The house has five double rooms with attached bathrooms that are fully air conditioned, with a dining hall and a lounge for meetings.
Sports and games
The College has facilities for encouraging sports and games.
- 400m Athletic Track with 8 lanes
- Three practice pitches with net facility and one match pitch for cricket
- One match pitch for football and hockey
- Two flood-lit basketball, two volleyball courts (one of them is flood-lit), two tennis and two ball badminton courts
- Fully equipped gym
- Indoor stadium with two badminton courts, six table tennis boards
- Chess and carom boards
- Separate indoor game facilities for girls
- A stadium for outdoor sports
S.I.T. Group of Hostels runs five boys' hostels (four on campus and one in town) and three girls' hostels (in town). Together they can accommodate 1950 students in a plinth area of 22700 sq.m.
|Basaveshwara Block I & II||Boys||Campus|
|Lal Bhadur Shastri Block||Boys||Campus|
|Mahatma Gandhi Block||Boys||Campus|
|GM Siddaramanna Hostel||Boys||City|
|SIT Boys Hostel (RSH)||Boys||City|
|Akkamahadevi Hostel||Girls||SIT Extension|
|Smt. Shivamma & Sri Kempahonnaiah Hostel||Girls||City|
Awards and recognition
- In 2009, the IEEE SIT Student branch website won the "Best Student Branch website" in IEEE Bangalore section.
- In 2011, the IEEE SIT Student branch was awarded as the "Outstanding Student Branch" in IEEE Bangalore section.
- Has a record of producing highest number of gold medalists all over karnataka.
- Majority of the lecturers especially in civil engineering are gold medallists from this prestigious institution.
- Highest package offered is 9.2 lakhs.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Siddaganga Institute of Technology.|