The bar in 2013
|Headquarters||Portland, Oregon, United States|
|Area served||Portland metropolitan area|
Description and history
Silverado, Portland's only gay strip club, has existed for nearly 30 years. Formerly called Flossie’s, it was originally located below a gay bathhouse in the area of downtown Portland known as Burnside Triangle, or "Gay Triangle", for its many gay and gay-friendly businesses. The club relocated to its current location at 318 Southwest 3rd Avenue in the Old Town Chinatown neighborhood in January 2008. Its larger space offers a lounge, outdoor terrace and VIP section.
In 2012, Silverado attracted attention for enforcing unequal cover charges every Friday and Saturday, charging male patrons $3 and female patrons $5. A spokesman for the company compared the difference in price to similar "ladies' night" events in which men pay more to enter a club than women. Furthermore, he said in an interview published by The Portland Mercury, "Every other day of the week, the entry price is the same for everyone. We require a nominal fee because we don't want people just coming in to oogle and leave. We need to make a profit!"
The bar does not allow bachelorette parties due to complaints from male patrons who "don't like groups of screaming and giggling women", even posting signage which specifically reads, "No Bachelorette Parties". The entrance to Silverado also has a sign that reads, "If you're here, you're queer", informing heterosexual men that they "aren't welcome". The same spokesman said of the policy, "This isn't a discrimination issue, it's different. We're just trying to create a comfortable environment for our customers."
Thomas Lauderdale, known for his work with the Portland-based band Pink Martini, has shared his affinity for the club and keeps a collection of photographs of guests he brought to the venue, including Gus Van Sant and Rufus Wainwright.
- Zielinski, Alex (March 22, 2012). "Silverado's Take on Inequal Entry Fees". The Portland Mercury (Portland, Oregon). Retrieved June 27, 2014.
- "LGBT nightlife". Travel Portland. Retrieved June 28, 2014.
- "About". Silverado. Retrieved June 27, 2014.
- Scott, Aaron (October 4, 2012). "Exclusive Interview: Grizzly Bear's Edward Droste". Portland Monthly (Portland, Oregon: Sagacity Media). ISSN 1546-2765. Retrieved June 27, 2014.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Silverado (Portland, Oregon).|
- Official website
- Silverado Nightclub with Gay Club TV Part 1 on YouTube
- Silverado Nightclub with Gay Club TV Part 2 on YouTube
- TWO Investigation: ‘Ex-Gay’ Rock Star John Paulk Exposed As Fraud…Again by Wayne Besen (2012), Truth Wins Out