||The topic of this article may not meet Wikipedia's notability guideline for biographies. (March 2011)|
Simon Drew (born 9 October 1952) is an English illustrator and cartoonist, noted for his quirky punning captions, often featuring animals which he draws in a fine pen-and-ink style.
He was born in Reading on 9 October 1952, and was educated at Bradfield College, Berkshire. He read Zoology at Exeter University, and trained as a teacher at Reading University before teaching for five years in West Sussex. In 1981, he established his own gallery in Dartmouth, Devon, UK for the sale of illustrations, paintings and the work of studio potters which, since 1985, has been short-listed by the British Crafts Council for its high standards. His first book, A Book of Bestial Nonsense appeared in 1986. He has regularly produced work for Friends of the Earth, including posters and stage designs. On 12 August 2011 Drew appeared in an episode of Channel 4's Come Dine With Me during which he won joint first place with two of the three other contestants on the show.
Drew was a candidate for Totnes in the 2010 general election, standing as an independent. His platform was mostly satirical, in reaction to the expenses scandal. He polled 390 votes, coming second to last of eight candidates.
- A Book of Bestial Nonsense (1986)
- Nonsense in Flight (1987)
- Still Warthogs Run Deep (1988)
- The Puffin’s Advice (1989)
- Cat with Piano Tuna (1990)
- Camp David: Nonsense in Art (1992)
- Beastly Address Book for Beastly Friends (1993)
- Handel’s Warthog Music (1993)
- A Pig's Ear (1994)
- A Beastly Birthday Book (1995)
- Great Mistakes of Civilisation (1996)
- Bird Dropping (1996)
- Dogsbodies (1997)
- The Duck Stops Here (1998)
- The Very Worst of Simon Drew (1999)
- The New Book of Exeter Riddles (1999)
- Spot the Book Title (2000)
- Pie aaaaaaaaggh (squared) (2001)
- Spot the Author (2003)
- And so I face the vinyl curtain (2005).
- Shepherd Spy: A Tale Of Violence And Intrigue And Terrorist Sheep (2007) published Antique Collectors' Club Ltd
- SIMON DREW (BORN 1952)
- Come Dine With Me, Series 24, Episode 4, South Devon
- Artist joins political dogfight (retrieved 21 April 2010)