|Location||Moffett Federal Airfield, CA, U.S.|
Singularity University is an unaccredited teaching organization located in Silicon Valley whose stated aim is to "educate, inspire and empower leaders to apply exponential technologies to address humanity’s grand challenges." It was founded in 2008 by Peter Diamandis and Ray Kurzweil in Moffett Field, CA.
Singularity University's programs range from an annual ten-week summer course intended for graduate and post-graduate students to programs for corporate executives and government leaders as well as conferences for financial planners. Other programs include Singularity University Labs idea center, as well as a tuition competition.
Director of "Global Grand Challenges" in 2013 is Nicholas Haan.
Singularity University is overseen by a Board of Trustees. Rob Nail, one of the organization's Associate Founders, was named CEO of Singularity University in October, 2011. Vivek Wadhwa is the organization's Vice President for Academics and Innovation.
Corporate founding partners and sponsors include Google, Nokia, Autodesk, IDEO, LinkedIn, ePlanet Capital, the X Prize Foundation, the Kauffman Foundation and Genentech.
Conversion from non-profit to benefit corporation
In 2012 Singularity University the non-profit began the process for conversion to a benefit corporation, to include transparency as well as for-profit aspects. In 2013 the new for-profit corporation incorporated as Singularity Education Group and acquired the descriptive "Singularity University" as its trade name.
- "FAQ". Singularity University. Retrieved 2009-02-03.
An exploratory meeting was held in November 2007, followed in September 2008 by a founding meeting hosted by NASA Ames.
- David Rowan (2008-09-20). "On the exponential curve: inside Singularity University". Wired.co.uk. Retrieved 2014-06-25.
- "What Is Singularity University?". Singularity University. Retrieved 2013-05-18.
- "Academic Tracks". Singularity University. Archived from the original on 2009-02-08. Retrieved 2009-02-03.
- "Where science fiction meets reality". Mountain View Voice. August 24, 2012.
- "Board of Trustees". Singularity University. Retrieved 2011-02-04.
- "Singularity University Names Rob Nail CEO". BusinessWire. Retrieved 2012-02-11.
- "Singularity University Appoints Vivek Wadhwa Vice President of Innovation". Singularity University. Retrieved 2012-02-11.
- Vance, Ashlee (June 12, 2010). "Merely Human? That’s So Yesterday". The New York Times.
- "Nokia Supports Singularity University as Fifth Corporate Founder". Nokia Research Center. November 10, 2010. Archived from the original on 18 November 2012.
- "Autodesk Increases Support for Singularity University to Corporate Founder Level". MOFFETT FIELD, Calif.: Autodesk. February 12, 2010. Archived from the original on February 12, 2010.
- "Asad Jamal". World Economic Forum. Archived from the original on 18 November 2012.
- Leuty, Ron (February 6, 2012). "Genentech, Singularity University ink deal". San Francisco Business Journal.
- Ryan Tate (August 22, 2012). "Robot Professors Come With Singularity University’s Massive Upgrade". Wired Magazine. Retrieved November 23, 2014.
- Brian Warmoth (July 20, 2012). "Singularity University planning to go for-profit". Education Dive. Retrieved November 23, 2014.