|Developer(s)||EA Montreal (Wii version)
Exient Entertainment (DS version)
EA Black Box
|Designer(s)||Scott Blackwood (executive producer), Mike McCartney (producer)|
|Mode(s)||Single-player, Multiplayer, Online Multiplayer (DS version only)|
|Distribution||Nintendo DS Game Card, Wii Optical Disc, Download|
Skate It is a skateboarding video game developed by EA Montreal, Exient Entertainment and EA Black Box for the Nintendo DS, Wii, and iOS. The game is a spin-off of 2007's Skate, and the developers have stated that it is not a port or sequel but rather an original game. It was released on November 19, 2008, the day after Tony Hawk's Motion was released on the DS. EA announced the game for release in May 2010 on the iOS platform, and has since been released.
Skate It is set between the events of Skate and Skate 2 in San Vanelona, the same fictional city as the original game, although several earthquakes have caused widespread damage and a mass evacuation of the city, leaving the player free to skate alone and undisturbed. They will, however, be able to travel to other cities in the world later in the game. Skate It is the only game in the series to not feature the main protagonist of the series, as this is set during the protagonist's incarceration explained in Skate 2.
Because the Nintendo DS and Wii lack the dual analog joysticks that were used for control in the original game, the controls for Skate It were redesigned to take advantage of each platform's respective control methods. For example, the Wii version utilizes the motion sensing of the Wii Remote to control the player's skateboard, with gestures used to perform tricks, while the Nintendo DS version features stylus and touchscreen control. The Wii version also features support for the Wii Balance Board.
The Wii version uses a modified version of the original's game engine, supports 480p and widescreen display options, and contains the instant Replay feature from the original game. The Wii version also offers a deep and unique career mode that allows the player to earn sponsors, unlock gear, and travel to places such as London, Barcelona, Paris, Shanghai, San Francisco and Rio de Janeiro, a first for the series. In addition, a number of offline and online multiplayer modes are be available.
IGN gave the Wii version of Skate It an 8.5/10, citing some issues with the motion-based control scheme though they claim that for those willing to master it, the scheme reveals a great depth and a more nuanced trick system. They also praised the overall gameplay, the long and extensive single player mode, the soundtrack and presentation, but felt the in game graphics were "bland" and at times "nasty". IGN also gave the Nintendo DS version a 7.9/10, calling the gameplay "enormously challenging" and "amazingly satisfying due to its complexity", but were slightly disappointed by occasional bugs and glitches and an overall lack of polish compared to the Wii version. The Nintendo DS version was a nominee for several DS-specific awards by IGN in their 2008 video game awards, including Best Sports Game, Best Online Multiplayer Game, and Most Innovative Design.
- Awesome Snakes - I Want A Snake
- Cut Chemist - Addictive
- Dayton Sidewinders - Go Ahead On
- Die Hunns - Mad Society
- Fort Knox Five - King Of The Street
- Fujiya & Miyagi - Collarbone
- Gang Starr - Step In The Arena
- Gaslight Anthem - I’da Called You Woody, Joe
- Judas Priest - Freewheel Burning
- Koushik feat. Percee P - Cold Beats
- LL Cool J - Rock The Bells
- Louis XIV - Guilt By Association
- Mark Nishita - Blue School
- Money Your Love - For Kristoffer
- Ponce De Leon - Gator Jaws
- Prophet Omega - The Sway
- Queen Sea Big Shark - Hold Your Hand
- Sly & The Family Stone - Thank You (Falettinme Be Mice Elf Agin)
- Squeak E. Clean - Mystic
- Suicidal Tendencies - Possessed 2 Skate
- The Clash - Death Or Glory
- The Specials - Ghost Town
- WAR - Low Rider
- Year Long Disaster - Leda Atomica
- "Skate It Wii Hands-On Impressions". Kotaku.
- Buchanan, Levi (2010-03-03). "Skate It Coming to iPhone". IGN. Retrieved 2010-03-04.
- "Skate It Hands-on". IGN.
- "Previews: Skate It". 1UP.com.
- "Skate It on Wii and Nintendo DS". IGN.
- IGN: Skate It Wii Review
- IGN: Skate It DS Review
- "IGN DS: Best Sports Game 2008". IGN.com. 2008-12-15. Retrieved 2008-12-19.
- "IGN DS: Best Online Multiplayer Game 2008". IGN.com. 2008-12-15. Retrieved 2008-12-19.
- "IGN DS: Most Innovative Design 2008". IGN.com. 2008-12-15. Retrieved 2008-12-19.