Sleep Through the Static
|Sleep Through the Static|
|Studio album by Jack Johnson|
|Released||February 1, 2008|
|Genre||Folk rock, soft rock|
|Label||Brushfire Records, Universal Records|
|Jack Johnson chronology|
|Singles from Sleep Through the Static|
|The Boston Globe||(mixed)|
|Yahoo! Music UK|||
Sleep Through the Static is the fourth studio album by singer-songwriter Jack Johnson, released in the U.S. on February 5, 2008. The effort was announced on Johnson's personal website as renovation began for the release of the album. It was recorded at L.A.'s Solar Powered Plastic Plant, which makes it Johnson's first album not made in Hawaii. It was produced by JP Plunier.
The album was played live for the first time at the BBC in December for a select number of fans. Despite having been reviewed mostly unenthusiastically by professional music critics, worldwide sales of the album indicate that most Jack Johnson fans have not been disappointed, with positive word-of-mouth countering the unenthusiastic reviews of some critics.
The first single, "If I Had Eyes", was released via Johnson's MySpace page on December 17, 2007. The second single from the album was "Hope" and was released on September, peaking at number #30 on the Billboard Modern Rock Tracks.
The album debuted at number one on the U.S. Billboard 200 chart, selling about 375,000 copies in its first week, including 139,000 digital downloads. This was a record high for weekly digital album sales. It also debuted at number one on the Worldwide chart with sales of 577,000. It held the record at iTunes for most digital downloads in a single day, until Coldplay's Viva la Vida or Death and All His Friends set a new record.
Sleep Through the Static remained at number one on the Billboard 200 in its second week of release, by which time it had sold over 180,000 copies, as well as its third week, in which it sold 105,000 copies. It fell from the number one spot in its fourth week, in which it placed third with about 92,000 copies sold. The album was made #45 in Q's 50 Best Albums of the Year 2008.
All songs written by Jack Johnson, except where noted.
- "All at Once" – 3:38
- "Sleep Through the Static" – 3:43
- "Hope" (Jack Johnson, Zach Rogue) – 3:42
- "Angel" – 2:02
- "Enemy" – 3:48
- "If I Had Eyes" – 3:59
- "Same Girl" – 2:10
- "What You Thought You Need" – 5:27
- "Adrift" – 3:56
- "Go On " – 4:35
- "They Do, They Don't" – 4:10
- "While We Wait" – 1:26
- "Monsoon" (Jack Johnson, Merlo Podlewski) – 4:17
- "Losing Keys" – 4:28
- Jack Johnson - vocals and guitar
- Adam Topol - drums
- Merlo Podlewski - bass
- Zach Gill - keys and vocals
- Danny Riley - backup vocals on "If I Had Eyes" (died in 2007)
- JP Plunier - backup vocals and claps on "If I Had Eyes"
- Emmett Malloy and Josh Arroyo - hand claps on "If I Had Eyes"
- Trent Johnson - acoustic guitar on "Go On"
|Australian Albums Chart||1|
|Austria Albums Chart||3|
|Belgium Albums Chart (Flanders)||8|
|Belgium Albums Chart (Wallonia)||34|
|Canadian Albums Chart||1|
|Danish Albums Chart||5|
|Dutch Albums Chart||4|
|French Albums Chart||6|
|German Albums Chart||2|
|Greek Albums Chart||9|
|Irish Albums Chart||1|
|New Zealand Albums Chart||1|
|Norwegian Albums Chart||17|
|Portugal Albums Chart||3|
|Spanish Albums Chart||14|
|Swedish Albums Chart||13|
|Swiss Albums Chart||2|
|UK Albums Chart||1|
|U.S. Billboard 200||1|
|Austrian Albums Chart ||49|
|German Albums Chart ||42|
|Austria (IFPI Austria)||Gold||0x|
|New Zealand (RMNZ)||Platinum||15,000^|
|United Kingdom (BPI)||Gold||100,000^|
|United States (RIAA)||Platinum||1,000,000^|
^shipments figures based on certification alone
|Sleep Through the Static: Remixed|
|Remix album by Jack Johnson|
|Released||September 23, 2008|
Sleep Through the Static: Remixed is a 2008 remix album of songs from Sleep Through the Static.
Audio Track List:
- Hope (Nightmares on Wax Remix)
- Losing Keys (Katalyst Remix)
- Monsoon (Money Mark Casio Remix)
- Angel (Kid Koala Remix)
- They Do, They Don’t (DJ Tropikal Remix)
- Hope (Mario C. Remix)
- If I Had Eyes (Culver City Dub Collective Remix)
- Enemy (Worst Friends Remix)
- "Adrift" (Live Studio Session)
- "Enemy" (Live Studio Session)
- "Sleep Through the Static/I Love You and Buddha Too" (Live Studio Sessions)
- Allmusic review
- Billboard review
- Blender review
- The Boston Globe review
- Entertainment Weekly review
- Rolling Stone review
- The Guardian review
- The Observer review
- Slant Magazine review
- Yahoo! Music UK review
- Katie Hasty, "Digital Sales Propel Johnson To Second No. 1", Billboard.com, February 13, 2008.
- Katie Hasty, "Johnson Remains No. 1; Winehouse, Hancock Soar", Billboard.com, February 20, 2008.
- Katie Hasty, "Johnson's 'Static' Prevails Again On Album Chart", Billboard.com, February 27, 2008.
- Katie Hasty, "Janet Dethrones Jack To Top Billboard 200", Billboard.com, March 5, 2008.
- "The 50 Best Albums of 2008". Q. January 2009. p. 82
- "Jack Johnson - Sleep Through The Static worldwide chart positions and trajectories". aCharts.us. Retrieved February 15, 2008.
- "lescharts.com - Jack Johnson - Sleep Through The Static". lescharts.com. Retrieved 12 August 2011.
- Canada Albums Top 100 Chart
- "Chartverfolgung / Johnson,Jack / Longplay". musicline.de. Retrieved 12 August 2011.
- Greek Albums Top 50 Chart
- http://www.mtv.de/charts/albumjahrescharts2008[dead link]
- "ARIA Charts – Accreditations – 2008 Albums". Australian Recording Industry Association.
- "Austrian album certifications – Jack Johnson – Sleep Through The Static" (in German). IFPI Austria. Enter Jack Johnson in the field Interpret. Enter Sleep Through The Static in the field Titel. Select album in the field Format. Click Suchen
- "Gold-/Platin-Datenbank (Jack Johnson; 'Sleep Through the Static')" (in German). Bundesverband Musikindustrie.
- "Irish album certifications – Jack Johnson – Sleep Through the Static". Irish Recorded Music Association.
- "Japanese album certifications – Jack Johnson – Sleep Through the Static" (in Japanese). Recording Industry Association of Japan.
- "Latest Gold / Platinum Albums". Radioscope. 17 July 2011. Archived from the original on 2011-07-24.
- "British album certifications – Jack Johnson – Sleep Through the Static". British Phonographic Industry. Enter Sleep Through the Static in the field Search. Select Title in the field Search by. Select album in the field By Format. Click Go
- "American album certifications – Jack Johnson – Sleep Through the Static". Recording Industry Association of America. If necessary, click Advanced, then click Format, then select Album, then click SEARCH
Skybound by Tom Baxter
|Irish Album Chart number-one album
February 7, 2008 – February 14, 2008
Back to Black by Amy Winehouse
Spirit by Leona Lewis
|Australian ARIA Albums Chart number-one album
February 11, 2008 – March 17, 2008
March 24, 2008 – March 31, 2008
Breed Obsession by Gyroscope
|New Zealand RIANZ Album Chart number-one album
February 11, 2008 – March 3, 2008
Back to Black by Amy Winehouse
19 by Adele
|UK Albums Chart number-one album
February 11, 2008 – February 24, 2008
Join with Us by The Feeling
As I Am by Alicia Keys
|Billboard 200 number-one album
February 17, 2008 – March 8, 2008
Discipline by Janet Jackson