Skyline of Sluis
Location in Zeeland
|• Body||Municipal council|
|• Mayor||Annemiek Jetten (PvdA)|
|• Total||307.16 km2 (118.60 sq mi)|
|• Land||279.67 km2 (107.98 sq mi)|
|• Water||27.49 km2 (10.61 sq mi)|
|Elevation||2 m (7 ft)|
|Population (May 2014)|
|• Density||85/km2 (220/sq mi)|
|Time zone||CET (UTC+1)|
|• Summer (DST)||CEST (UTC+2)|
The current incarnation of the municipality exists since on 1 January 2003. The former municipalities of Oostburg and Sluis-Aardenburg merged on that date. The latter of these two municipalities was formed from a merger between the previous municipality named Sluis and the former municipality of Aardenburg.
In addition to the town of Sluis itself, the municipality is made up of the following population centres:
A ferry connection across the Westerschelde exists between Breskens and Vlissingen. After the opening of the Westerschelde tunnel near Terneuzen in 2003, the ferry now carries only pedestrian and bicycle traffic.
Sint Anna ter Muiden, with a population of only 50 (2001), is a small village about 1 km west of the town of Sluis, located on the westernmost point of the Netherlands.
The population of the city is 2,040 (as of 2001).
- Seventeenth-century painter Jacob van Loo was from Sluis.
- Johan Hendrik van Dale, the creator of the Dutch Van Dale dictionary, (Sluis, 15 February 1828 – 19 May 1872)
- Ernst Oppler, German painter, lived some years in Sluis
- "College B&W" [Board of mayor and aldermen] (in Dutch). Gemeente Sluis. Retrieved 16 December 2013.
- "Kerncijfers wijken en buurten" [Key figures for neighbourhoods]. CBS Statline (in Dutch). CBS. 2 July 2013. Retrieved 12 March 2014.
- "Postcodetool for 4501BD". Actueel Hoogtebestand Nederland (in Dutch). Het Waterschapshuis. Retrieved 16 December 2013.
- "Bevolkingsontwikkeling; regio per maand" [Population growth; regions per month]. CBS Statline (in Dutch). CBS. 26 June 2014. Retrieved 24 July 2014.
|Damme (BE-VWV)||Maldegem (BE-VOV)||Sint-Laureins (BE-VOV)|
|This article about a location in Zeeland is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|