Some Kind of Zombie
|Some Kind of Zombie|
|Studio album by Audio Adrenaline|
|Released||November 18, 1997|
Ardent Studios, Memphis, TN
Shakin' Studios, Franklin, TN
|Audio Adrenaline chronology|
According to Audio Adrenaline, the album concept and its title song are based on the Scripture, specifically Colossians, Chapter 3, where it talks about "giving life over to God". The inspiration came from singer Mark Stuart's experience living with his missionary parents in Haiti, where voodoo is heavily practiced. According to Stuart, the message is that "you can be dead to your old self after becoming a new person through religion."
Some Kind of Zombie was recorded in 1997 at Ardent Recordings on Memphis and Shakin' Studios on Franklin. Recording was in charge of producer John Hampton, with Jason Latshaw and Matt Martone. Mixing was done by Skidd Mills. The album included a remix of the title song called "Some Kind of Zombie (Criscoteque Remix)", which was produced by Scott Humphrey. This track is not available on the audiocassette release of the album.  A "Chevette (Remix)" can be found on the compilation album WoW 1999.
The album is the first album of the band without Barry Blair, although he collaborated in the writing of the title song, as well as recording the guitars to it. Blair was replaced by guitarist Tyler Burkum. It is also the first album to officially list Ben Cissell as the band's drummer. The song "Blitz" features members of Christian ska band The O.C. Supertones, including Matt Morginsky as a guest vocalist.
All songs written and composed by Bob Herdman, Will McGinnis, and Mark Stuart, except where noted..
|1.||"Chevette[a][b]"||Bob Herdman, Will McGinniss, Brian McSweeney, Mark Stuart||4:19|
|2.||"New Body"||Herdman, Brian Kotzur, McGinniss, Pennell, Stuart||3:57|
|3.||"Some Kind of Zombie[a][b]"||Barry Blair, Herdman, McGinniss, Stuart||4:45|
|5.||"People Like Me"||3:15|
|6.||"Blitz[a]" (featuring Matt Morginsky of The O.C. Supertones)||4:13|
|11.||"Some Kind of Zombie (Criscoteque Remix)" (hidden track)||4:37|
- Mark Stuart - lead vocals
- Will McGinniss - bass, vocals, yak back
- Bob Herdman - guitar, keyboards, vocals
- Ben Cissell - drums, percussion
- Tyler Burkum - guitars, vocals
- Matt Morginsky (from The O.C. Supertones) - guest vocal on "Blitz"
- Carlos Pennell - guitars on "Flicker"
- Barry Blair - guitars on "Some Kind of Zombie"
- Carl Marsh - string arrangements on "Some Kind of Zombie", "God-Shaped Hole", "People Like Me", "Original Species", and "New Body"
- Dave Chevalier (from The O.C. Supertones) - Tenor Sax on "Blitz"
- Darren Mettler (from The O.C. Supertones) - Trumpet on "Blitz"
- Dan Spencer (from The O.C. Supertones) - Trombone on "Blitz"
- Jeannette Sullivan - additional background vocals on "Flicker"
Production and recording
- John Hampton - producer
- Eddie DeGarmo - executive producer
- Dan R. Brock - executive producer
- Skidd Mills - mixer
- Jason Latshaw - second engineer
- Matt Martone - second engineer
- John Falls - photography
- Rusty Rust - aluminum photography
- Kerri McKeehan Stuart - art direction
- Brad Talbott - illustration and design
- Scott Humphrey - producer of "Some Kind of Zombie (Criscoteque remix)"
|Jesus Freak Hideout|||
Some Kind of Zombie was well received by critics. John DiBiase, of Jesus Freak Hideout, gave the album 3.5 stars out of 5, calling it a "fantastic record and a must-listen for any Audio Adrenaline or modern rock fan." AllMusic's Stephen Thomas Erlewine gave the album 4 out of 5 stars writing that "the group improves with each record, delivering tougher, catchier riffs and sharper performances".
- Audio Adrenaline Biography on eNotes; B. Kimberly Taylor and Sarah Parkin
- Some Kind of Zombie slip cover; Audio Adrenaline (1997)
- Some Kind of Zombie video on YouTube
- Blitz video on YouTube
- allmusic review
- Jesus Freak Hideout review
- Some Kind of Zombie review on Jesus Freak Hideout; DiBiase, John (November 1997)
- Some Kind of Zombie on AllMusic; Stephen Thomas Erlewine
- Some Kind of Zombie on Billboard