Spartacus International Gay Guide
|Language||English, German, Spanish, French, Italian|
|Subject||Gay travel guide|
|Publisher||Bruno Gmünder Verlag|
|1 March 2013|
The guide is arranged alphabetically by country and offers short texts in English, German, French, Spanish and Italian. Cities that are major gay travel destinations are described in greater depth. Each country section includes a summary of the current laws about homosexuality that are applicable to that country. The majority of the book's contents are listings for businesses that either specifically cater to gay tourists or that may be of interest to gay travellers, such as bars, hotels, gay saunas, beaches, support groups and AIDS hotlines. Listings are arranged by city within each country. Recent editions of the guide have counted more than 1200 pages with information for approximately 22,000 businesses in 160 countries.
The criteria that determine which businesses are included in the listings differ from country to country. In countries or cities with a large number of businesses catering to gay customers, only businesses that are specifically gay – and possibly even only the most noteworthy amongst these – are included; in countries where such businesses are uncommon, those that cater to a general clientele but are "gay friendly" are also included.
In January 2012, Bruno Gmünder Media released the Spartacus International Gay Guide App for iPhone. This allows access to the entirety of the Spartacus International Gay Guide while on the road. Bars, clubs, hotels, saunas, beaches and cruising spots are indicated on the city map via GPS without expensive roaming fees since almost all of these functions are available offline. Photos, additional information and links to addresses assist in the choice of the nearest meeting places. In addition, there are tips on current activities, events and specials (such as happy hours in the bar around the corner, for example). The app lists suitable locations, regardless of whether one is seeking a drinking establishment, accommodation, a dance floor or some other fun. The regularly-updated app is available both in German and English. There are four versions available on the Apple App Store (iOS): "Europe", "North America", "Latin America, Asia, Africa and Oceania" and "Worldwide".
In June 2013 the Bruno Gmünder Verlag released a completely redesigned Version 2.0 of its Spartacus Gay Guide App including a version with a free selected content. According to the publisher the Android version is available soon.
- Bruno Gmünder Verlag
- Gay tourism
- International Gay and Lesbian Travel Association
- Category:LGBT tourism
- Elm Guest House
- Product description Bruno Gmünder Verlag GmbH, June 2013
- 42., nd Edition The German National Library, February 2013
- Spartacus International Gay Guide EDGE New York, April 2012
- Die MÄRZ-AUSGABE ist da! MANNER Magazine, February 2012
- Spartacus International Gay Guide bald auch als iPhone-App gayboy.at, March 2011
- ] Daily Mirror, 2 February 2013
- Bedford, Briand (March 1, 2012). Spartacus International Gay Guide, 2012/2013. Bruno Gmunder Verlag GmbH, 41st edition. p. 1300 pages. ISBN 978-3-86787-360-4.
- Gmunder, Bruno (March 1, 2012). SPARTACUS International Hotel & Restaurant Guide 2012. Bruno Gmunder Verlag GmbH; Revised edition. p. 416 pages. ISBN 978-3-86787-361-1.
- Gmunder, Bruno (October 1, 2007). Spartacus International Sauna Guide 2008. Bruno Gmunder Verlag GmbH; Revised edition. p. 320 pages. ISBN 3-86187-426-1.