10 December 1982 |
|Height||2.51 m (8 ft 3 in) |
|Weight||137 kg (302 lb; 21.6 st)|
|Spouse(s)||Merve Dibo (2013−present)|
Kösen lives with his parents, three brothers and sister, who are all of normal height. He was unable to complete his education because of his height, so instead works part time as a farmer. Despite his height, he claims to enjoy a normal lifestyle and enjoys playing computer games with his friends. He describes the advantages of being tall as seeing a great distance and being able to help his family with domestic tasks such as changing light bulbs and hanging curtains. He lists disadvantages as not being able to find clothes (inside leg measuring 44.5 inches (113 cm) and sleeve length measuring 38 inches (97 cm)) or shoes that fit or finding it difficult to fit into an average-sized car.
Starting in 2010, Kösen received Gamma Knife treatment for his pituitary tumour at the University of Virginia Medical School and has also been provided with medication to control his excessive levels of growth hormone. Although the full effect of the treatment takes up to two years, as of 2011, his hormone levels were almost normal. It was confirmed in March 2012 that the treatment had been effective in halting Kösen's growth.
Kösen's height was recorded at 2.43 m (8 ft 0 in) in his home country by Guinness World Records, on 25 August 2009, overtaking former world record holder Bao Xishun who stands 2.36 m (7 ft 8.9 in) tall. Kösen also holds the current Guinness record for the largest hands at 27.5 cm, and the second largest feet at 36.5 cm (left foot) and 35.5 cm (right foot).
On 9 February 2011, Kösen was measured by Guinness World Records at 2.51 m (8 ft 3 in).
- Guinness World Records 2009 page 73
- "Tallest man - Living". guinnessworldrecords.com. Guinness World Records. Retrieved 10 October 2014.
- "World's tallest man Sultan Kosen, an ethnic Kurd, marries in Turkey's Kurdistan". Retrieved 16 November 2014.
- "Mayor Bob Filner Meets With World's Tallest Man, Sultan Kosen". KPBS Public Media. Retrieved 16 November 2014.
- "Tallest man — living". Guinness World Records. Retrieved 10 October 2014.
- Bodyshock: World's Tallest Man: Looking for Love at channel4.com broadcast 26 May 2011
- "World's tallest man longs for love". The Age (Melbourne). 17 September 2009. Retrieved 18 September 2009.
- "My date with the world's tallest man Sultan Kosen". The Daily Mirror (London). 18 September 2009. Retrieved 20 September 2009.
- "A Suit That Fits the World's Tallest Man". A Suit That Fits. Retrieved 20 September 2011.
- Jaslow, Ryan (13 March 2012). "World's tallest man, 29, finally stops growing with help from Va. doctors". CBS. Retrieved 13 March 2012.
- "You may lean to kiss the bride: The tallest man on earth, Sultan Kösen, gets married". Hurriyet Daily News. 28 October 2013. Retrieved 28 October 2013.
- "World's tallest man comes eye to eye with world's smallest man for Guinness World Records' Day". Telegraph.co.uk. 13 November 2014. Retrieved 16 November 2014.
- "World's tallest man over 8ft high". BBC News. 17 September 2009. Retrieved 17 September 2009.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Sultan Kösen.|
|Tallest Recognized Person
17 September 2009 –
|World's largest feet on a living person
25 August 2009 – 24 May 2011