Sultan Kösen in Amsterdam.
10 December 1982 |
|Height||251 cm (8 ft 2 in) |
|Spouse(s)||Merve Dibo (2013−present)|
Kösen lives with his parents, three brothers and sister, who are all of normal height. He was unable to complete his schooling because of his height and his job as a part-time farmer. Despite his height he claims to enjoy a normal lifestyle and enjoys playing computer games with his friends. He describes the advantages of being tall as seeing a great distance and being able to help his family with domestic tasks such as changing light bulbs and hanging curtains. He lists disadvantages as not being able to find clothes (inside leg measuring 44.5 inches (113 cm) and sleeve length measuring 38 inches (97 cm)) or shoes (size 28) that fit or finding it extremely hard to fit into an average-sized car.
Starting in 2010, Kösen received Gamma Knife treatment for his pituitary tumour at the University of Virginia Medical School and has also been provided with medication to control his excessive levels of growth hormone. Although the full effect of the treatment takes up to two years, as of 2011, his hormone levels were almost normal. It was confirmed in March 2012 that the treatment had been effective in halting Kösen's growth.
Kösen's height was recorded at 2.51 m (8 ft 3 in) in his home country by Guinness World Records, on 25 August 2009, overtaking former world record holder Bao Xishun who stands 2.36 m (7 ft 8.9 in) tall. Kösen also holds the current Guinness record for the largest hands at 27.5 cm, and the largest feet at 36.5 cm (left foot) and 35.5 cm (right foot).
On 9 February 2011, Kösen was measured by Guinness at 2.51 m (8 ft 3 in).
- Guinness World Records 2009 page 73
- "Tallest man - Living". guinnessworldrecords.com. Guinness World Records. Retrieved 17 January 2014.
- "Tallest man — living". Guinness World Records. Retrieved 2011-08-17.
- Bodyshock: World's Tallest Man: Looking for Love at channel4.com broadcast 26 May 2011
- "World's tallest man longs for love". The Age (Melbourne). 2009-09-17. Retrieved 2009-09-18.
- "My date with the world's tallest man Sultan Kosen". The Daily Mirror. 2009-09-18. Retrieved 2009-09-20.
- "A Suit That Fits the World's Tallest Man". A Suit That Fits. Retrieved 2011-09-20.
- Jaslow, Ryan (13 March 2012). "World's tallest man, 29, finally stops growing with help from Va. doctors". CBS. Retrieved 13 March 2012.
- "You may lean to kiss the bride: The tallest man on earth, Sultan Kösen, gets married". Hurriyet Daily News. 28 October 2013. Retrieved 28 October 2013.
- "World's tallest man over 8ft high". BBC. 17 September 2009. Retrieved 2009-09-17.
|Tallest Recognized Person
17 September 2009 –
|World's largest feet on a living person
25 August 2009 – 24 May 2011