Zalawad / Velavadar Cotton City
|• Body||Surendranagar-Dudhrej nagar Palika|
|• Total||45 km2 (17 sq mi)|
|Elevation||98 m (322 ft)|
|• Density||207/km2 (540/sq mi)|
|• Official||Gujarati, Hindi|
|Time zone||IST (UTC+5:30)|
|Telephone code||91 2752|
|Nearest city||Wadhwan City|
|Sex ratio||958:1000 ♂/♀|
|Lok Sabha constituency||Bharatiya Janata Party|
|Vidhan Sabha constituency||Indian National BJP|
|Civic agency||Surendranagar Nagar palika surendranagarmunicipality|
|Climate||Dry almost (Köppen)|
Surendranagar is a city and a Municipality.
Population of the Surendranagar city is approximately 2,00,000; this includes the population of Wadhvan city, a twin city of Surendranagar.
The chief agricultural product of Surendranagar district is cotton. Surendranagar district is one of the highest quality producers of cotton in the world. The first private cotton futures trading exchange was established in Surendranagar.
Also called the Camp, it is now a major trade and processing center for agricultural products, Agriculture, glass, cotton, salt, pharmaceuticals, chemicals and plastics, textile bearings, ceramics and sanitary-ware.
Surendranagar is a hub of cotton and ginning activities of India. One of the largest producer of quality "Shankar" cotton in world. Surendranagar houses the first Cotton Trading Exchange in India. Nearly 25% of India's salt supply comes from the mining in the area.
SMEs in various segments like confectionery, textile bearings, ceramics, sanitary-ware, pharmaceuticals, soda ash, bromine, chemicals and plastics have developed to a great extent. Surendranagar being a cotton hub of the country is also home to large number of ginning and pressing units.it is also very good market for supply of fuse and related electrical equipment.
The city is also home to a big textile and clothing market, specially for saris. Big clothing showrooms and Jewellery Show Rooms are located in the city on Jawahar Road and Vitthal Press Road. The city has a wholesale grain market called Mehta Market. The Jewellers of the city sells jewellery at lowest rate of 92 percent of pure gold rate. The only city in India where labour is charged on percentage basis.
In the past, Surendranagar was used as a hill station by the outsiders as it has dry environment. This was mainly because this type of environment helps the people to cure some physical as well as mental tensions. Surendranagar's dry air is still believed to be the best place in Gujarat to cure Tuberculosis patients. Surendranagar has no more better hospital/medical facilities even a district place.
Surendranagar is Second numbered city in whole Gujarat which have largest numbers of Educational institutes in Compare(level) of population.
There has been an exponential growth in the number of educational institutes in Surendranagar recently. These include:
Graduation and Post-Graduation:
- C.U. Shah Medical College, Dudhrej Road
- Sanskruti College of Management, IT, commerece & Arts
- Shree Pandit Nathulalji Vyas Technical Campus
- Smt S. J. Varmora Mahila College. (Kadva Patidar Vidhya Sankul),Wadhwan City
- C. U. Shah College of Engineering and Technology, Surendranagar
- C. U. Shah College of Pharmacy & Research, Kothariya Road/Lakhtar Highway
- C.U. Shah College of Commerce, Computer and Management
- Government Polytechnic, Mulchand Road
- M.P.Shah Commerce College, Vikas Path
- M.P. Vora College, Kothariya Road
- M. P. Shah Arts & Science College, Tram Way Road
- Rukmaniben Gardi Girl's Law College, 60 feet Road
Secondary and Higher Secondary:
- Sanskruti School Of Thoughts (Science & General Stream)
- Smt. M.T.Doshi Vardhman Bharti School Lakhu Pole Wadhwan City
- Smt. M.T.Doshi Vardhman Bharti High School Lakhu Pole Wadhwan City
- Shree G.C.Shah Swaminarayan High School, ( Swaminarayan Gurukul , Nr.Bus stand )
- Smt. R.A.Patel Boys High School ,60 Feet Road , Wadhwan City
- Smt. Savitaben Himmatlal Golani High School, (Leuva Patidar Vidhya Sankul , Wadhwan city )
- Matrushree Shantaben Devjibhai Shiyaniya Higher Secondary School,(Leuva Patidar Vidhya Sankul, Wadhwan city ')
- R.P.P. (Rambhaben Purshottamdas Patadia) School for Girls
- J. N. V. (Jawaharlal Naheru Vividhlakshi) High school
- Shri Sheth N.T.M. High School
- Shri C. P. Oza Sharda Mandir High School
- Shri D.N.T. High School Joravarnagar
- Shri Savitaben Vadilal Muni. Prathmik Shala, Joravarnagar
- C.U. Shah School (English Medium)
- Dayamayi Mata School (English Medium)
- Sardar Patel Vidyalaya
- Sunflower Nursery School (English Medium)
- S.P.vidayalaya (Sardar Patel Vidyalaya)
- Tirupati Vidyalaya
- Shri Sava saala, Joravarnagar
- Shri Pragti High School, Surendrangar
- Ultra Vision Academy,Surendranagar
- Smt. Sadgunaben C.U.Shah (muni.)Girls' High school(vikas vidyalaya ), Surendranagar
- Shree Swami Vivekanand Vidhyalaya , Nr.Bhaktinandan Circle , 80 Feet Road , Surendranagar
- H.R.College Of Commerce & Economics
- Nilkanth Vidyalaya, Limbdi
- Sir Jashwantsinh High School Limbdi
- Sunny Sky English Higher Secondary School
Places of interest
There are many places in the city which are good and visitable. In the places most favorite of the peoples is '"Fatshar Ganpati Mandir" and Dholidhaja Dam Both places of the city Having large numbers of visitors. in the centre of City there is Tagore Baug situated. Near GIDC wadhvan Rotary Garden is situated. Fly Over bridge near Medical college is also good place to watch Sun Set scene.
There is only one place in the whole Gujarat containing two clock towers excattly in opposite position at Tower Road. There are two clock towers, one is the AJRAMAR TOWER(City Tower/Tower in Tanki chowk) and the another one is the clock tower of Town Hall.
Surendranagar observes a wide range of festivals. Popular celebrations and observances include Uttarayan, an annual kite-flying day on 14 and 15 January. Nine nights of Navratri are celebrated with people performing Garba, the most popular folk dance of Gujarat, at venues across the city. few very ancient tradition of gujarati culture "Bhavai" is played across the small villages depicting the life of common men,gods,goddesses,etc. The festival of lights, Deepavali, is celebrated with the lighting of lamps in every house, decorating the floors with rangoli, and the lighting of firecrackers. Other religious festivals such as Holi, Ganesh Chaturthi, Gudi Padwa, Eid ul-Fitr and Christmas are celebrated. Tajia during the Muslim holy month of Muharram are important events.
There are some restaurants, which serve a wide array of Indian Foods. Most of the food outlets serve only vegetarian food, as a strong tradition of vegetarianism is maintained by the city's Jain and Hindu communities.
One good place containing lots of trees called Vruksh Mandir(Tree Temple) situated on Muli/Rajkot Highway. Another good place in the Surendranagar is Mandir of Meladi Maa's. It is the center of faith of many peoples. Wadhwan, Jorawarnagar, Ratanpar and Dhudhrej are near by city, town & village. Wadhwan is one of the historical city where old historical rankdevi temple is located. In the end area of Ratanpar there is the Temple of Rameshvar Mahadev is also good in art and structure.Aksharprushotam Swaminarayan Mandir is near by junction,Mai Mandir is on Main Road City area .
Surendranagar is twinned with: