|Born||May 21, 1955|
|Institutions||Uppsala University (1980–1984, 1985–present)
Mittag-Leffler Institute (1978–1980)
University of Chicago (1980–1981)
Stockholm University (1984–1985)
|Alma mater||Uppsala University|
|Doctoral advisor||Lennart Carleson (mathematics, 1977)
Carl-Gustav Esseen (mathematical statistics, 1984)
|Known for||Janson's inequality (probability)
Random graphs (Hoeffding decomposition & U-statistics)
"Birth of the giant component" (with coauthors)
|Notable awards||Royal Swedish Academy of Sciences (KVA)
1978 Sparre Award (KVA)
Royal Scientific Society of Uppsala
1994 Göran Gustafsson prize
2009 Gårding prize (Royal Physiological Society, Lund)
Svante Janson (born 21 May 1955) is a Swedish mathematician. A member of the Royal Swedish Academy of Sciences since 1994, Janson has been the chaired professor of mathematics at Uppsala University since 1987.
In mathematical analysis, Janson has publications in functional analysis (especially harmonic analysis) and probability theory. In mathematical statistics, Janson has made contributions to the theory of U-statistics. In combinatorics, Janson has publications in probabilistic combinatorics, particularly random graphs and in the analysis of algorithms: In the study of random graphs, Janson introduced U-statistics and the Hoeffding decomposition.
Svante Janson has already had a long career in mathematics, because he started research at a very young age.
From prodigy to docent 
A child prodigy in mathematics, Janson took high-school and even university classes while in primary school. He was admitted in 1968 to Gothenburg University at age 12. After his 1968 matriculation at Uppsala University at age 13, Janson obtained the following degrees in mathematics: a "candidate of philosophy" (roughly an "honours" B.S. with a thesis) at age 14 (in 1970) and a doctor of philosophy at age 21–22 (in 1977). Janson's Ph.D. was awarded on his 22nd birthday. Janson's doctoral dissertation was supervised by Lennart Carleson, who had himself received his doctoral degree when he was 22 years old.
After having earned his doctorate, Janson was a postdoc with the Mittag-Leffler Institute from 1978 to 1980. Thereafter he worked at Uppsala University. Janson's ongoing research earned him another PhD from Uppsala University in 1984 – this second doctoral degree being in mathematical statistics; the supervisor was Carl-Gustav Esseen.
In 1985 Janson returned to Uppsala University, where he was named the chaired professor in mathematical statistics. In 1987 Janson became the chaired professor of mathematics at Uppsala university. Traditionally in Sweden, the chaired professor has had the role of a "professor ordinarius" in a German university (roughly combining the roles of research professor and director of graduate studies at a research university in the USA).
Besides being a member of the Royal Swedish Academy of Sciences (KVA), Svante Janson is a member of Uppsala's Royal Scientific Society. His thesis received the 1978 Sparre Award from the KVA. He received the 1994 Swedish medal for the best young mathematical scientist, the Göran Gustafsson prize. Janson's former doctoral student, Ola Hössjer, received the Göran Gustafsson prize in 2009, becoming the first statistician so honored.
Works by Janson 
- Barbour, A. D.; Holst, Lars; Janson, Svante (1992). Poisson Approximation. Oxford, UK: Oxford University Press. ISBN 0-19-852235-5. MR 1163825.
- Janson, Svante (1994). "Orthogonal decompositions and functional limit theorems for random graph statistics". Memoirs of the American Mathematical Society (Providence, Rhode Island: American Mathematical Society) 111 (534): vi+78. ISBN 0-8218-2595-X. MR 1219708.
- Janson, Svante (1997). Gaussian Hilbert spaces. Cambridge Tracts in Mathematics 129. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press. pp. x+340. ISBN 0-521-56128-0. MR 1474726.
- Janson, Svante; Łuczak, Tomasz; Rucinski, Andrzej (2000). 0-8218-2595-X Random graphs. Wiley-Interscience Series in Discrete Mathematics and Optimization. New York: Wiley-Interscience. pp. xii+333. ISBN 0-471-17541-2. MR 1782847.
Selected articles 
- Janson, Svante (1990). "Poisson approximation for large deviations". Random Structures and Algorithms 1 (2): 221–229. doi:10.1002/rsa.3240010209. ISBN [[Special:BookSources/3-240-01020-9|3-240-01020-9 [[Category:Articles with invalid ISBNs]]]] Check
|isbn=value (help). MR 1138428. Unknown parameter
|on=ignored (help); Unknown parameter
|pn=ignored (help) (Janson's inequality)
- Janson, Svante; Knuth, Donald E.; Luczak, Tomasz; Pittel, Boris (1993). "The birth of the giant component". Random Structures and Algorithms 4 (3): 231–358. doi:10.1002/rsa.3240040303. ISBN [[Special:BookSources/3-240-04030-3|3-240-04030-3 [[Category:Articles with invalid ISBNs]]]] Check
|isbn=value (help). MR 1220220.
- Janson, Svante; Nowicki, Krzysztof (1991). "The asymptotic distributions of generalized U-statistics with applications to random graphs". Probabability Theory and Related Fields 90 (3): 341–375. doi:10.1007/BF01193750. MR 1133371.
- Alon, Noga; Spencer, Joel (2008). The probabilistic method. Wiley-Interscience Series in Discrete Mathematics and Optimization (third ed.). Hoboken, NJ: John Wiley and Sons. pp. 87, 110, 115–119, 120–121, 123, 128, 157–148, 160 (Second edition). ISBN 978-0-470-17020-5 , (Second 9780471370468) Check
|isbn=value (help). MR 2437651.
- "Oral History of Donald Knuth. Interviewed by Edward Feigenbaum (March 14 and 21, 2007)". Mountain View, California.
- Page 508 in Koroljuk, V. S.; Borovskich, Yu. V. (1994). Theory of U-statistics. Mathematics and its Applications 273 (Translated by P. V. Malyshev and D. V. Malyshev from the 1989 Russian original ed.). Dordrecht: Kluwer Academic Publishers Group. pp. x+552. ISBN 0-7923-2608-3. MR 1472486.
- Pages 381–382 in Borovskikh, Yu. V. (1996). U-statistics in Banach spaces. Utrecht: VSP. pp. xii+420. ISBN 90-6764-200-2. MR 1419498.
- Page xii in Kwapień, Stanisƚaw; Woyczyński, Wojbor A. (1992). Random series and stochastic integrals: Single and multiple. Probability and its Applications. Boston, MA: Birkhäuser Boston, Inc. pp. xvi+360. ISBN 0-8176-3572-6. MR 1167198.
- Curriculum Vitæ for Svante Janson, read 18 december 2009
- Raussen, Martin; Skau, Christian (February 2007). "Interview with Abel Prize Recipient Lennart Carleson" (PDF). Notices of the American Mathematical Society 54 (2): pp.223–229. Retrieved 2008-01-16.
- Janson, Svante (1977). On BMO and related spaces. Uppsala: Department of Mathematics, Uppsala University.
- Janson, Svante (1984). Random coverings and related problems. Uppsala.
- The Mathematics Genealogy Project: Svante Janson, read 1 May 2010
- Page 647 in Graham, Ronald L.; Knuth, Donald E.; Patashnik, Oren (1994). Concrete mathematics: A foundation for computer science (Second ed.). Reading, MA: Addison–Wesley Publishing Company. pp. xiv+657. ISBN 0-201-55802-5. MR 1397498.
- Diaconis, Persi (2009). "Book review: Probabilistic symmetries and invariance principles (Olav Kallenberg, Springer, New York, 2005)". Bulletin of the Amererican Mathematical Society (New Series) 46 (4): 691–696. doi:10.1090/S0273-0979-09-01262-2. MR 2525743.
- "Göran Gustafsson prize awarded to Svante Janson in 1994 (and to Janson's student Ola Hössjer in 2009)". 2010-06-28.
- Svante Janson's homepage at Uppsala University. Accessed 2010-06-27.
- Curriculum Vitæ for Svante Janson. Accessed 2010-06-27.
- Mathematical works by Svante Janson, Department of Mathematics, Uppsala University. Accessed 2010-06-27.
- Details of seminar given by Janson on May 7th 2010 to the Microsoft Research Theory Group. Accessed 2010-06-27.
- Member record for Svante Janson. Swedish Academy of Sciences. Accessed 2010-06-27.
- Svante Janson at the Mathematics Genealogy Project
- Google Scholar. "Svante Janson". Retrieved 2010-06-29.
- Mathematical Reviews. "Svante Janson". Retrieved 2010-06-29.