Taiko: Drum Master
|Taiko no Tatsujin: Taiko Drum Master|
PS2 US front cover
|Series||Taiko no Tatsujin|
"Taiko: Drum Master" (English title), also known as "Taiko no Tatsujin" (太鼓の達人) is a drumming game made by Namco for the Sony PlayStation 2 based on the popular Japanese arcade game. A drum simulating the taiko is played in time with music.
Symbols moving horizontally along a timeline show what to hit and when. Home versions distinguish single and double strikes, arcade versions hard and soft strikes.
Successful play builds up a life meter. If the meter is past a certain point by the end of the song, the song is passed.
In the Japanese version, subtitles under the symbols give the pronunciation of the sounds (for example, "do don do don") using a traditional system called kuchi shoga (口唱歌).
Despite the game's cute and childish appearance, many players may find the game quite difficult to master. Players need to accomplish at least a 65% clearance of a song which is determined by the tamashi gauge to pass, which could be very challenging on harder difficulties.
North American release track listing
Pop and rock
- "ABC" by The Jackson Five
- "American Girls" - by Counting Crows
- "Are You Gonna Be My Girl" - by Jet
- "Girls and Boys" - by Good Charlotte
- "I'm a Believer" - by Smash Mouth
- "Killer Queen" - by Queen
- "Lady Marmalade" - by Labelle
- "Love Shack" - by The B-52s
- "Material Girl" - by Madonna
- "My Sharona" - by The Knack
- "Slide" - by The Goo Goo Dolls
- "That's the Way (I Like It)" - by KC and the Sunshine Band
- "The Impression That I Get" - by The Mighty Mighty Bosstones
- "Toxic" - by Britney Spears
- "Tubthumping" - by Chumbawamba
- "Walking on Sunshine" - by Katrina and the Waves.
- "Symphony No. 5" (Beethoven)
- "Carmen Prelude" (Bizet)
- "Foster's Medley"
- "Hungarian Dances No. 5" (Brahms)
- "Symphony No. 25 in G Minor" (Mozart)
- "William Tell Overture" (Rossini)
- "Don Rangers" (heard in a small portion from a cutscene in Katamari Damacy)(10 crowns to unlock)
- "Brave Sword, Braver Soul" (from the arcade fighting game Soul Calibur II)
- "Dragon Spirit" (from the Dragon Spirit arcade game of the same name)
- "Katamari on the Rocks" (theme song from the PlayStation 2 game Katamari Damacy)
- "Ridge Racer" (from the Namco racing game of the same name) (15 crowns to unlock)
- "Taiko March" (combination of several songs from arcade games such as Sky Kid and The Tower of Druaga, all of which are Namco titles) (5 crowns to unlock)
- "The Genji and the Heike Clans" (from the Japanese arcade game Genpei Tōma Den) (20 crowns to unlock)
Japanese release track listing
- I'm A Slave 4 U - Britney Spears
- I Was Born To Love You - Queen
- American Girls - Counting Crows
- We Will Rock You - Queen
- ABC - Jackson 5
- Girls & Boys
- Killer Queen - Queen
- The Impression That I Get
- That's The Way (I Like It) - KC & The Sunshine Band
- The Loco-Motion
- September - Earth, Wind, & Fire
- Material Girl - Madonna
- You Can't Hurry Love
- Love Shack
- Lady Marmalade
- Walking on Sunshine
- Alphabet Song
- Beethoven's 5th Symphony
- William Tell Overture
- Carmen Prelude
- Foster's Medley
- Symphony No. 25 in G Minor
- Hungarian Dances No. 5
- Soulcalibur II Brave Sword, Braver Soul
- The Genji and the Heike Clans
- Ridge Racer
- Taiko March
- Mojipittan Medley
- Dragon Spirit
- Saitama 2000
- The bundle with the game comes with a Taiko controller with plastic drumsticks where players plug into the PS2 console.
- The oni difficulty is unlocked by clearing 25 songs.