Taksim Military Barracks
|Taksim Military Barracks
Halil Pasha Artillery Barracks
Halil Paşa Topçu Kışlası
|Taksim Square, Istanbul, Turkey|
|Taksim Military Barracks|
|In use||until 1909|
|Built by||Sultan Selim III|
|Events||31 March Incident|
The Taksim Military Barracks or Halil Pasha Artillery Barracks (Turkish: Taksim Kışlası or Halil Paşa Topçu Kışlası) were located at the site of the present-day Taksim Gezi Park next to Taksim Square in Istanbul, Turkey. It was built in 1806, during the reign (1789–1807) of the Ottoman Sultan Selim III by Armenian architect Krikor Balian.
During the 31 March Incident in 1909, the Barracks building suffered considerable damage, and waited to be repaired. Its internal courtyard was later transformed into the Taksim Stadium in 1921, and became the first football stadium in Turkey, used by all major football clubs in the city, including Beşiktaş J.K., Galatasaray S.K. and Fenerbahçe S.K.. The stadium was closed in 1939, and demolished in 1940, during the renovation works of Taksim Square.
On 16 September 2011, the assembly of the Istanbul Metropolitan Municipality decided to rebuild the structure; despite the area falling within the purview of green space protection ordinances. Development interests were regarded by many of exploiting statutes protecting historic structures in order to trump green space protection. The proposed rebuilt barracks were intended to be a shopping center and containing no surviving portion of the barracks that existed on the site.
The reconstruction of the barracks was met by protests in Istanbul; after police brutality against initial protestors, this evolved into the nationwide 2013–14 protests in Turkey, also known as the Gezi Park protests.
- "Yok olan Taksim Meydanı - Topçu Kışlası yeniden inşa ediliyor!" (in Turkish). wow Turkey. 2003-01-23. Retrieved 2013-06-01.
- The Mixed-Up Files of Taksim Square Architecture. The New Republic. 2013-06-10. Retrieved 2013-06-10
- Gezi Park: A Big History For a Small Space. The Guide Istanbul. 2013-06-05. Retrieved 2013-06-10
- "Taksim Gezi Parkı'nın Tarihçesi". Aktif Haber (in Turkish). 2013-06-01. Retrieved 2013-06-91.
- "Belediye Taksim Meydanı için kararını verdi". Radikal (in Turkish). 2011-09-16. Retrieved 2013-06-01.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Taksim Military Barracks.|