|Traded as||SET: KBANK|
|Industry||Banking, Financial Services|
|Founded||June 8, 1945|
|Key people||Bantoon Lamsam (Chairman & CEO)|
|Products||consumer banking, corporate banking, credit cards, finance and insurance, foreign currency exchange and Financial Risk Management Products, mortgage loans, risk management, underwriting|
|Revenue||BT฿ 203.84 Billion (2013)|
|Net income||BT฿ 41.32 Billion (2013)|
|Total assets||BT฿ 2,290.04 Billion (2013)|
|Total equity||BT฿ 219.23 Billion (2013)|
Kasikornbank Public Company Limited (KBank, Thai: ธนาคารกสิกรไทย) formerly known as the Thai Farmers Bank (Swift code KASITHBK) is the leading universal banking group in Thailand. KBank was established on 8 June 1945 by Choti Lamsam, with registered capital of Baht 5 million and has been listed on the Stock Exchange of Thailand (SET) since 1976. The current chairman and CEO is Mr Bantoon Lamsam, the grandson of the founder. In 2003, Thai Farmers Bank changed its name to KASIKORNBANK or KBank.
As of June 30, 2014, KBank is the fourth largest commercial bank in Thailand as measured by total assets, loans, and deposits with about 15% market shares. Kasikornbank has a registered capital of Baht 30.5 billion with paid up capital of Baht 23.9 billion and market capitalization of Baht 488 billion (second largest in Banking sector in the Stock Exchange of Thailand). KBank has total assets of Baht 2.34 trillion, total deposits of Baht 1.567 trillion and total loans (to customers less deferred revenue) outstanding of Baht 1.472 trillion. The bank offers consumer banking, commercial banking, and corporate banking services, including Cash Management, International Trade Financing, Lending, Deposit-taking, Supply Chain Financiang, Bancassurance, FX & Derivatives, Investment Banking, Custodian Services, Asset Management, Credit Card Services and Mortgage Lending.
1945 : Luang Naruebetmanit (Sanguan Chudatemiya), Chairman; Choti Lamsam Managing Director
1948 : Chulin Lamsam, Chairman; Kasem Lamsam, Managing Director
1962 : Chulin Lamsam, Chairman; Bancha Lamsam, Managing Director
1965 : Pra Nitikarnprasom (Sagnuan Chaixanien), Chairman; Bancha Lamsam, Managing Director
1976 : Bancha Lamsam, Chairman; Banyong Lamsam, President
1992 : Banyong Lamsam, Chairman; Banthoon Lamsam, President
2004 : Banyong Lamsam, Chairman; Banthoon Lamsam, Chief Executive Officer; Prasarn Trairatvorakul, President
2010 : Banyong Lamsam, Chairman; Banthoon Lamsam, Chief Executive Officer; Krisada Lamsam, Business Domain Coordinator; Predee Daochai, Risk Domain Coordinator; Teeranun Srihong, Infrastructure Domain Coordinator; Somkiat Sirichatchai, Resource Domain Coordinator
2013–Present : Banthoon Lamsam, Chairman and Chief Executive Officer; Predee Daochai, President; Teeranun Srihong, President
Kasikornbank was established on June 8, 1945, with registered capital of Baht 5 Million and only 21 employees. Its first office is now the Thanon Sua Pa Main Branch. The Bank showed healthy performance after only six months in operation. As of December 31, 1945, or at the end of its first accounting period, the Bank recorded total deposits of Baht 12 Million and with the assets of Baht 15 Million.
- 1973 - Thailand’s first bank to offer credit card services, under the so-called “Multi-Purpose Credit Card”
- 1980 - The first bank in Thailand to issue Floating Rate Certificates of Deposit, valued at USD 25 million, in the London market
- 1993 - The first to employ the re-engineering system – the impetus for the redesign of branches and service delivery among Thai commercial banks
- 1998 - KBank pioneered the use of SLIPS (Stapled Limited Interest Preferred Stock), a new financial vehicle for fundraising, which was later used by other banks
- 2003 - Change the name from Thai Farmers Bank (TFB) to KASIKORNBANK (KBank). A new branch model of “Coffee Banking” was introduced by KBank, the first of its kind in Asia
- 2005 - KBank was the first Thai commercial bank to operate business with a complete financial solution under the KASIKORNBANKGROUP, which consists of 6 companies including KASIKORNBANK, KASIKORN FACTORING, KASIKORN ASSET MANAGEMENT, KASIKORN RESEARCH CENTER, KASIKORN SECURITIES, and KASIKORN LEASING.
- 2006 - Partner Bank Strategy with Regional Japanese Banks, by signing agreement with regional and local banks in AEC Plus to reciprocate market knowledge, support and services for the customers from both banks.
- 2007 - Change the logo into tri-language logo (Thai, Chinese and English).
- 2009 - KBank issued “K-My Debit Card”, which is Thailand’s first debit card service that allows customers to personalize their own debit cards.
- 2010 - The first Thai bank with "Off-hour FX dealing" providing an extended service hours for currency exchange and treasury from 5 p.m. to 11 p.m.
- 2011 - Escrow Agent: The first bank in Thailand to serve as a neutral third party on behalf of home buyers and sellers, Offering the world’s first secured system of payment via mobile phone (Mobile Verified by Visa) and K-Value Chain Solutions: Thailand’s first financial solution that takes care of customers’ businesses all along entire value chains, from upstream to downstream
- 2012 - The first bank through which Myanmar workers can remit funds to their country and equipped its ATMs with menu in Myanmar. Change the name of KBank in China to Kāi tài yínháng (开泰银行).
- 2013 - Open a branch in Chengdu, the second branch in China
KBank headquarters is located on Ratburana road, Bangkok. The operations hub take place in the buildings located in Impact, Muang Thong Thani, Bangkok. The hub of sales, trading and investment banking is located at 400/22 Phahonyotin avenue. Kasikorn Research Center, Asset Management and Securities businesses are also located on Phahonyothin building.
Kasikornbank operated 1,054 branches, 9,460 ATMs, 142 foreign exchange booths and 62 international trade centers throughout Thailand. The bank branch network extends throughout Thailand’s 77 provinces, as well as internationally. KBank has one branch in Los Angeles, one in Cayman Islands and three branches in China include Chengdu, Shenzhen and Hong Kong as well as one sub-branch in Longgang district, Shenzhen. In addition, KBank has three representative offices in China i.e. Beijing, Shanghai, Kunming as well representative offices in Tokyo and Yangon.
KBank provides financial products and services through its core business divisions:
Retail Business provides bank account, credit card, debit card, K-Personal Credit, K-Payroll Benefit, K-Home Loan, wealth management, insurance, foreign currency bank note exchange, and money transfer.
SME Business offers financial products, services and solutions to SME e.g. loan, cash management, bancassurance, trade finance and foreign exchange service.
Corporate Business offers financial products, services and solutions to larger corporation e.g. Corporate Finance & Investments, Supply Chain Financing, FX & Derivatives, K-Value Chain Solutions.
Corporate and SME Products provides financial product and service to large corporate and SME customers such as cash management, trade finance, bancassurance and securities services.
Capital Markets Business offers complete range of treasury products such as foreign exchange, interest rates, and commodity hedging, structured note, bond investment and aval Bills discounting.
Investment Banking Business offers advisory and financing solutions such as M&A, project finance advisory, project financing, syndicated loan including securities underwriting such as corporate bond, Infrastructure fund, REITS.
Notable former employees
- Piyasvasti Amranand (2008) - Chairman of the Energy for Environment Foundation, former President of Thai Airways International (2009-2012), former Minister of Energy (2006-2008), former Secretary-General of the Thai National Energy Policy Office (1994-2000)
- Prasarn Trairatvorakul (2004-2010)– 22nd Governor of the Bank of Thailand (2010), former Secretary-General of the SEC
- Kittiratt Na-Ranong (1985) - Deputy Prime Minister (2011-2014) and Minister of Finance (2012-2014), former Minister of Commerce (2011-2012), former MD of the SET (2001-2006)
- M.R. Pridiyathorn Devakula (1971) – former Deputy Prime Minister and Minister of Finance (2006-2007), former (20th) Governor of the Bank of Thailand (2001), former President of Export-Import Bank of Thailand
- Thongchai McIntyre - famous Thai pop singer
- "Investor Presentation as of 2Q14". KASIKORNBANK. August 2014. Retrieved September 9, 2014.
- "KBank's Company Background". Retrieved November 22, 2013.
- "KBank General Information". Kasikornbank. June 30, 2014. Retrieved September 10, 2014.
- "KBank's Retail Business' Products and Services". Retrieved November 22, 2013.
- Kasikornbank website (Thai)
- Kasikornbank website (English)
- Kasikornbank website (Chinese)
- Kasikornbank website (Japanese)