January 25, 1952 |
Arlington Heights, Illinois, U.S.
|Occupation||Legal editor, writer, journalist, clergy|
|Alma mater||Yale University|
|Genre||Science and religion
Historicity of the Gospels
|Children||Kyle Strobel, Alison Strobel|
Lee Patrick Strobel (born January 25, 1952) is an American Christian author, journalist, apologist and pastor. He has written several books, including four which received ECPA Christian Book Awards (1994, 1999, 2001, 2005) and a series which addresses challenges to a Biblically inerrant view of Christianity. Strobel also hosted a television program called Faith Under Fire on PAX TV, and runs a video apologetics web site. Strobel has been interviewed on numerous national television programs, including ABC's 20/20, Fox News and CNN.
Strobel received a journalism degree from University of Missouri and a Master of Studies in Law degree from Yale Law School, becoming a journalist for The Chicago Tribune and other newspapers for 14 years. Formerly an avowed atheist, he began investigating the Biblical claims about Christ after his wife's conversion. Prompted by the results of his investigation, he became a Christian.
Strobel was a teaching pastor of Willow Creek Community Church in South Barrington, Illinois, from 1987 to 2000, before shifting his focus to writing and producing his TV show. He continues to speak periodically at churches and has been a board member of the Willow Creek Association. In 2007, Strobel was awarded an honorary doctoral degree by Southern Evangelical Seminary in recognition of his contributions to Christian apologetics.
Strobel is married to Leslie and they have two children and several grandchildren. His daughter Allison is a novelist, and his son Kyle is an Assistant Professor of Spiritual Theology and Formation at the Talbot School of Theology.
The Case for a Creator
The advocates interviewed in the chapters and their topic(s) of discussion are as follows:
- Intelligent design advocate and Discovery Institute Center for Science and Culture (CSC) fellow Jonathan Wells presents a case against evolution;
- Philosopher of science Stephen C. Meyer discusses the relationship between science and religion, as well as the origin of life, arguing against the likelihood of abiogenesis without the assistance of a creator;
- Philosopher of religion William Lane Craig discusses the Big Bang and argues for a creator as first cause, using the Kalam cosmological argument;
- International Society for Complexity, Information and Design fellow and philosopher Robin Collins discusses the anthropic principle and argues that the universe must be designed by a creator;
- Guillermo Gonzalez (astronomer) and Jay Richards (theologian) present a case that the Rare Earth hypothesis supports intelligent design;
- Biochemist Michael Behe discusses irreducible complexity in biology as an argument for a creator; and,
- Philosopher and theologian J.P. Moreland examines the supposed existence of consciousness separate from the brain, including near-death experiences, as an argument for a creator.
The Case for Christ
According to Strobel, The Case for Christ retraces and expands his journey toward becoming a Christian. The book summarizes his interviews with thirteen evangelical Christian scholars—Craig Blomberg, Bruce Metzger, Edwin Yamauchi, John McRay, Gregory Boyd, Ben Witherington III, Gary Collins, D.A. Carson, Louis Lapides, Alexander Metherell, William Lane Craig, Gary Habermas, and J. P. Moreland—in which they defend their views regarding the historical reliability of the New Testament. 
The book is divided into three parts, preceded by a Preface: Introduction: Reopening the Investigation of a Lifetime
- Part 1: Examining the Record
- 1. The Eyewitness Evidence: Can the Biographies of Jesus Be Trusted? with Dr. Craig Blomberg
- 2. Testing the Eyewitness Evidence: Do the Biographies of Jesus Stand Up to Scrutiny? with Dr. Craig Blomberg
- 3. The Documentary Evidence: Were Jesus' Biographies Reliably Preserved for Us? with Dr. Bruce Metzger
- 4. The Corroborating Evidence: Is There Credible Evidence for Jesus outside His Biographies? with Dr. Edwin Yamauchi
- 5. The Scientific Evidence: Does Archeology Confirm or Contradict Jesus' Biographies? with Dr. John McRay
- 6. The Rebuttal Evidence: Is the Jesus of History the Same As the Jesus of Faith? with Dr. Gregory Boyd
- Part 2: Analyzing Jesus
- 7. The Identity Evidence: Was Jesus Really Convinced That He Was the Son of God? with Dr. Ben Witherington III
- 8. The Psychological Evidence: Was Jesus Crazy When He Claimed to Be the Son of God? with Dr. Gary Collins
- 9. The Profile Evidence: Did Jesus Fulfill the Attributes of God? with Dr. D.A. Carson
- 10. The Fingerprint Evidence: Did Jesus – and Jesus Alone – Match the Identity of the Messiah? with Louis Lapides, M.Div., Th.M.
- Part 3: Researching the Resurrection
- 11. The Medical Evidence: Was Jesus' Death a Sham and His Resurrection a Hoax? with Dr. Alexander Metherell
- 12. The Evidence of the Missing Body: Was Jesus' Body Really Absent from His Tomb? with Dr. William Lane Craig
- 13. The Evidence of Appearances: Was Jesus Seen Alive after His Death on the Cross? with Dr. Gary Habermas
- 14. The Circumstantial Evidence: Are There Any Supporting Facts That Point to the Resurrection? with Dr. J.P. Moreland
- Conclusion: The Verdict of History: What Does the Evidence Establish – And What Does It Mean Today?
The Case for the Real Jesus
The Case for the Real Jesus: A Journalist Investigates Current Attacks on the Identity of Christ presents a number of counter-arguments to challenges to the evangelical Christian view. Strobel addresses differences between the portrayal of Jesus in the non-canonical gospels versus the four canonical gospels, whether the church has changed this depiction over time, new explanations that challenge Jesus's resurrection, the proposed origins of the Jesus story in pagan religions, whether Jesus fulfills messianic prophecies, and whether contemporary people should have the freedom to believe what they want about Jesus.
The book is divided into 6 Challenges:
- Challenge #1 "Scholars Are Uncovering a Radically Different Jesus in Ancient Documents Just as Credible as the Four Gospels" with Craig A. Evans, PhD
- Challenge #2 "The Bible's Portrait of Jesus Can't Be Trusted Because the Church Tampered with the Text" with Daniel B. Wallace, PhD
- Challenge #3 with Michael Licona, M.A., PhD (Cand.)
- Part 1 "New Explanations Have Refuted Jesus' Resurrection"
- Part 2 "The Cross Examination"
- Challenge #4 "Christianity Beliefs about Jesus Were Copied from Pagan Religions" with Edwin M. Yamauchi, PhD
- Challenge #5 "Jesus Was an Impostor Who Failed to Fulfill the Messianic Prophecies" with Michael L. Brown, PhD
- Challenge #6 "People Should Be Free to Pick and Choose What to Believe about Jesus" with Paul Copan, PhD
The Case for Faith
In his book The Case for Faith: A Journalist Investigates the Toughest Objections to Christianity, Strobel replies to doubts about Christianity, including the problem of evil, the contradiction between miracles and science, whether God is worthy of worship if he kills innocent children, whether Jesus is the only way to God, and the church's history of oppression and violence.
The book is divided into 8 Objections:
- Objection #1 "Since Evil and Suffering Exist, a Loving God Cannot" with Peter Kreeft, PhD
- Objection #2 "Since Miracles Contradict Science, They Cannot Be True" with William Lane Craig, PhD
- Objection #3 "Evolution Explains Life, So God Isn't Needed" with Walter L. Bradley, PhD
- Objection #4 "God Isn't Worthy of Worship If He Kills Innocent Children" with Norman L. Geisler, PhD
- Objection #5 "It's Offensive to Claim Jesus Is the Only Way to God" with Ravi Zacharias, D.D., LL.D.
- Objection #6 "A Loving God Would Never Torture People in Hell" with J.P. Moreland, PhD
- Objection #7 "Church History Is Littered with Oppression and Violence" with John D. Woodbridge, PhD
- Objection #8 "I Still Have Doubts, So I Can't Be a Christian" with Lynn Anderson, D.Min.
The Case for Christianity Answer Book
The Case for Christianity Answer Book provides simple, understandable answers to questions you've probably asked—or heard—about Christianity, including whether the Bible contradicts what we've learned from science, why God allows tragedy and suffering, and if there is solid evidence that Jesus really rose from the dead. Strobel uses his investigative journalism skills to dig deep into science, history and the Bible to find the truth. Then he offers what he has learned in an approachable question-and-answer format.
The book is divided into six parts:
- I. Prelude: Seeking Spiritual Answers
- II. Answers About God, the Creator
- III. Answers About the Bible
- IV. Answers About Jesus
- V. Answers to Other Challenges to Christianity
- VI. Postlude: Turning Answers into Action
Strobel says that he wrote Inside the Mind of Unchurched Harry and Mary to help advance lay people's understanding of Christianity and to increase the effectiveness of evangelistic efforts, and says the book includes insights drawn from his own experiences as a former atheist as to why people avoid Christianity.
- Reckless Homicide? Ford's Pinto Trial (1980) ISBN 0-89708-022-X
- Inside the Mind of Unchurched Harry and Mary (1993) ISBN 0-310-37561-4
- What Jesus Would Say (1994) ISBN 0-310-48511-8
- God's Outrageous Claims (1998) ISBN 0-310-26612-2
- The Case for Christ, September 1, 1998, Zondervan, ISBN 0-310-22605-8
- The Case for Faith: A Journalist Investigates the Toughest Objections to Christianity, October 1, 2000, Zondervan, ISBN 0-310-22015-7
- Surviving a Spiritual Mismatch in Marriage (2002) ISBN 0-310-22014-9
- The Case for a Creator: A Journalist Investigates Scientific Evidence That Points Toward God (2004), Zondervan, ISBN 0-310-26386-7
- The Case for Easter: Journalist Investigates the Evidence for the Resurrection (2004), Zondervan, ISBN 0-310-25475-2
- Experiencing the Passion of Jesus (2004), with Garry Poole, Zondervan, ISBN 0-310-26375-1
- The Case for Christmas: A Journalist Investigates the Identity of the Child in the Manger (2005), Zondervan, ISBN 0-310-25476-0
- Discussing the Da Vinci Code: Exploring the Issues Raised by the Book and Movie (2006) ISBN 0-310-27263-7
- The Case for the Real Jesus: A Journalist Investigates Current Attacks on the Identity of Christ September 10, 2007, Zondervan, ISBN 0-310-24210-X
- The Ambition (Fiction Work) May 17, 2011
Children's apologetics series
- The Case for Faith for Kids (2006), Zonderkidz, ISBN 978-0-310-71146-9
- The Case for Christ for Kids (2006), Zonderkidz, ISBN 978-0-310-71147-6
- A Case for a Creator for Kids (2006), Zonderkidz, ISBN 978-0-310-71148-3
- Off My Case for Kids: 12 Stories to Help You Defend Your Faith (2006), Zonderkidz, ISBN 978-0-310-71199-5
- 1994 Gold Medallion Book Awards Winners – Missions/Evangelism at the Wayback Machine (archived November 2, 2007). ecpa.org
- Smith, Lisa (September 12, 2007). "Author digs deeper to defend Christianity". Daily Herald. Archived from the original on September 22, 2007. Retrieved 2007-11-05.
- Falsani, Cathleen (October 1, 2004). "Ex-reporter still asking tough questions on 'Faith Under Fire'". Chicago Sun-Times. Retrieved 2007-11-15.[dead link]
- "Biography". Retrieved 2007-12-31.
- Biography on The Unexpected Adventure page. Theunexpectedadventure.com. Retrieved on 2011-11-14.
- Barry, JD (2009). "Investigative Bible Study: Lee Strobel on Engaging a Pluralistic World". Bible Study Magazine: 10–14.
- Lee Strobel Books and Ministry. Christnotes.org. Retrieved on 2011-11-14.
- About Lee Strobel. Leestrobel.com. Retrieved on 2011-11-14.
- "Lee Strobel". Archived from the original on October 31, 2007. Retrieved 2007-11-07.
- Callahan, Tim. No Case At All, Skeptic, June 22, 2005.
- Foster, Charles A. (2009). The Selfless Gene: Living with God and Darwin. Nashville, Tenn.: Thomas Nelson. p. xvi. ISBN 0-8499-4654-9.
- Lee Strobel. The Case for Christ, September 1, 1998, Zondervan, ISBN 0-310-22605-8
- Publishers Weekly Nonfiction Reviews: Week of 7/23/2007 at the Wayback Machine (archived April 15, 2009)
- "ChristianBooks.com". Retrieved 2007-11-12.
- "ChristianBook.com". Retrieved 2015-01-13.
- Product Description. Christianbook.com. Retrieved on 2011-11-14.
- Christianbook.com. Christianbook.com. Retrieved on 2011-11-14.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Lee Strobel.|