The Civilization of the Renaissance in Italy
Title page of the Grosse Illustrierte Phaidon-Ausgabe
|Original title||Die Kultur der Renaissance in Italien|
|Translator||S. G. C. Middlemore|
The Civilization of the Renaissance in Italy (Die Kultur der Renaissance in Italien) is an 1860 work on the Italian Renaissance by Swiss historian Jacob Burckhardt. Together with his History of the Renaissance in Italy (Die Geschichte der Renaissance in Italien; 1867) it is counted among the classics of Renaissance historiography.
An English translation was produced by S.G.C. Middlemore in two volumes, London 1878.
The Civilization of the Renaissance in Italy is divided into six parts:
- Part One: The State as a Work of Art
- Part Two: The Development of the Individual
- Part Three: The Revival of Antiquity
- Part Four: The Discovery of the World and of Man
- Part Five: Society and Festivals
- Part Six: Morality and Religion
- 1878. The Civilization of the Renaissance in Italy.
- 1990. The Civilization of the Renaissance in Italy. Penguin Classics. ISBN 0-14-044534-X
|Wikisource has original text related to this article:|
|This article about a non-fiction book on Italian history is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article about a book on architecture or urbanism is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|