The Dragon Waiting
|Author||John M. Ford|
|Genre||fantasy alternate history|
|Published||1983 (Timescape Books)|
|Media type||Print (hardcover, paperback)|
The novel is a fantasy alternate history combining vampires, the Medicis, and the convoluted English politics surrounding Edward IV and Richard III. The book also fictionalizes the fate of the Princes in the Tower.
Edward IV is on the throne of England, but in this alternate world, medieval Europe is dominated by the threat from the Byzantine Empire. During the third century CE, Julian the Apostate reigned longer than he did in our world, succeeded in displacing Christianity and reintroduced religious pluralism within the Roman Empire, resulting in the subsequent disappearance of Islam as well. Without any cohesive threat from the east, presumably Byzantium was able to survive, consolidate its authority and expand.
Sforza, the Vampire Duke, marshals his forces for his long-planned attack on Florence, and Byzantium is on the march. A mercenary, the exiled heir to the Byzantine throne, a young woman physician forced to flee Florence, and a Welsh wizard, the nephew of Owain Gly Dwr, seem to have no common goals but together they wage an intrigue-filled campaign against the might of Byzantium, striving to secure the English throne for Richard, Duke of Gloucester, and make him Richard III.
This succeeds, and Richard III goes on to win the Battle of Bosworth in this alternate universe, killing Henry Tudor and insuring that he never becomes Henry VII as he did in our world. At that point, the book ends.
In 1995 Ford reported its sales as "40,000 copies in print (six thousand in hardcover) in English, about 10K more in the foreign editions".
- 1983, Timescape Books, ISBN 0-671-47552-5
- 1985, Avon Books, ISBN 0-380-69887-0 cover by Sanjulián
- 2002, Gollancz (#29 in Fantasy Masterworks line), ISBN 0-575-07378-0
- Draco Concordans: A Concordance for John M. Ford's The Dragon Waiting by Andrew Plotkin
- Featured review at SF Site
- Malo, Kim. "Review: The Dragon Waiting". R3.org. Richard III Society (Internet Archive). Retrieved November 13, 2013.
- Review at Tor.com
- Publication history with cover scans at Fantastic Fiction
- The Dragon Waiting title listing at the Internet Speculative Fiction Database
|This article about a 1980s fantasy novel is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|