The Kid from Texas
|The Kid from Texas|
|Directed by||Kurt Neumann|
|Produced by||Paul Short|
|Written by||Robert Hardy Andrews
|Based on||a story by Robert Hardy Andrews|
|Music by||Milton Schwarzwald|
|Cinematography||Charles Van Enger|
|Edited by||Frank Gross|
|Running time||78 mins|
The film starts 11 July 1879 in Lincoln County. A group of men who work for Major Harper, led by gunslinger Minniger, attempt to arrest rancher Alexander Kain and his English partner Jameson. They are stopped by William Bonney, aka Billy the Kid, who shoots and injuries them.
Jameson offers Billy a job as a ranch hand. A drunken group of Harper's men attach the ranch and kill Jameson. Billy goes on a killing rampage, encouraged by the manipulative Kain, who publicly decries Billy's efforts. Governor Lew Wallace offers Billy a pardon which he turns down. Pat Garrett is sent to catch Billy.
- Audie Murphy as Billy the Kid
- Gale Storm as Irene Kain
- Albert Dekker as Alexander Kain
- Shepperd Strudwick as Jameson
- Will Geer as O'Fallon
- William Talman as Minniger
- Martin Garralaga as Morales
- Robert H. Barrat as General Lew Wallace
- Walter Sande as Crowe
- Frank Wilcox as Pat Garrett
- Dennis Hoey as Major Harper
The film fictionalises the true events of the Lincoln County War but follows the basic facts. Jameson (Shepperd Strudwick) is based on John Tunstall and Alexander Kain (Albert Dekker) on Alexander McSween.
- The Kid from Texas at the Audie Murphy Memorial Site
- Hedda Hopper, 'Audie Murphy Set as 'Kid From Texas' ', Los Angeles Times (1923-Current File) [Los Angeles, Calif] 08 Sep 1948: A6.
- The Kid from Texas at IMDB
- The Kid from Texas at Audie Murphy Memorial Site
- The Kid from Texas at TCMDB