The King's Peace (novel)
Tor Books hardcover
|Cover artist||Julie Bell|
|October 2000 (1st edition)|
|Media type||Print (Hardback & Paperback)|
|Pages||416 pp (hardcover, 1st edition)|
|ISBN||ISBN 0-312-87229-1 (hardcover, 1st edition)|
|LC Class||PR6073.A448 K56 2000|
|Preceded by||The Prize in the Game|
|Followed by||The King's Name|
The King's Peace is a fantasy novel written by Jo Walton and published by Tor Books in October 2000. The first of Walton's published novels, it is also the first of three "Sulien" novels. It was followed in 2001 by a sequel, The King's Name, and in 2002 by a prequel, The Prize in the Game. The novels are a reinterpretation of the story of King Arthur.
Sulien ap Gwien, a woman warrior and daughter of the King of a small part of the island of Tir Tanagiri, is brutally raped by six invading Jarnsmen and her brother is murdered. While travelling to the capital to request help from Urdo, the High King, she happens upon a battle between some more Jarnsmen and some of the King's soldiers. Sulien proves her skill in battle and, drawn in part by the young King's leadership and charisma, she enlists in the cavalry. The novel follows her journey up the ranks, the battles against the invading Jarnsmen and Isarnagans, and Urdo's efforts to unite the many kingdoms of Tir Tanagiri and restore peace and law to the land.
- 2000, USA, Tor Books ISBN 0-312-87229-1, Pub date 1 October 2000, Hardback
- 2002, USA, Tor Fantasy ISBN 0-7653-4327-4, Pub date 19 August 2002, Mass Market Paperback
- Tor-Forge Books - The King's Peace
- The King's Peace Page Index Walton's site via the Wayback Machine
- Killheffer, Robert K. J. (January 2001). "Book Reviews". The Magazine of Fantasy and Science Fiction.
- Morgan, Cheryl (November 2000). "Alternate Arthur". Emerald City.
- Rose, Lenora. "Jo Walton, The King's Peace (Tor Books, 2000)". Green Man Review.