The Pick-up Artist (film)
|The Pick-up Artist|
Theatrical release poster
|Directed by||James Toback|
|Produced by||Warren Beatty
David Leigh MacLeod
|Written by||James Toback|
Robert Downey, Jr.
|Music by||Georges Delerue|
|Edited by||David Bretherton
|Distributed by||20th Century Fox|
|September 18, 1987|
The Pick-up Artist is a 1987 American romantic-comedy film written and directed by James Toback, starring Molly Ringwald and Robert Downey Jr. The film is noted for being one of Ringwald's more mature films.
Randy Jensen is a smart, independent tour guide who beats womanizer Jack Jericho at his own game. After a quick fling, her indifference only causes him to become smitten with her.
Randy is too busy for romance, trying to keep her alcoholic gambler father, Flash Jensen, out of harm's way. Jack's persistence soon pays off when he offers to help rescue Randy's dad from the mob.
- Molly Ringwald ... Randy Jensen
- Robert Downey Jr. ... Jack Jericho
- Dennis Hopper ... Flash Jensen
- Danny Aiello ... Phil Harper
- Mildred Dunnock ... Nellie
- Harvey Keitel ... Alonzo Scolara
- Bob Gunton ... Fernando Portacarrero
- Brian Hamill ... Mike
- Tamara Bruno ... Karen
- Vanessa L. Williams ... Rae, Girl with Dog
- Angie Kempf ... Jack's Student
- Polly Draper ... Pat, Jack's Colleague
- Frederick Koehler ... Richie
- Robert Towne ... Stan
- Victoria Jackson ... Lulu
- Lorraine Bracco ... Carla
- Fred Melamed ... George
James Toback wrote the film for Warren Beatty who liked the script but was reluctant to play a character driven by his erotic compulsions. Toback then considered Robert de Niro but ultimately decided the role should be played by a younger actor.
The movie opened at number 5 at the US Box Office.
- James Toback, "A Hollywood Mis-Education", Vanity Fair, March 2014 accessed 10 February 2014
- Maslin, Janet (1987-09-18). "Movie Review - The Pick Up Artist - Film: 'Pickup Artist,' From James Toback - NYTimes.com". Movies.nytimes.com. Retrieved 2012-09-20.
- "The Pick-Up Artist :: rogerebert.com :: Reviews". Rogerebert.suntimes.com. Retrieved 2012-09-20.
- "'The Pick-Up Artist' (PG-13)". Washingtonpost.com. 1987-09-18. Retrieved 2012-09-20.
- "Weekend Box Office - Los Angeles Times". Articles.latimes.com. 1991-01-08. Retrieved 2012-09-20.