The Serena Also Rises
|"The Serena Also Rises"|
|Gossip Girl episode|
Serena rules the night.
|Episode no.||Season 2
|Directed by||Patrick Norris|
|Written by||Jessica Queller|
|Original air date||September 29, 2008 (The CW)|
"The Serena Also Rises" is the 23rd episode of the CW television series, Gossip Girl. It was also the fifth episode of the show's second season. The episode was written by Jessica Queller and directed by Patrick Norris. It originally aired on Monday, September 29, 2008 on the CW.
In the midst of Fashion Week, a furious Blair Waldorf (Leighton Meester) plans on sabotaging Serena van der Woodsen (Blake Lively) after Serena claims her Queen Bee status and rejecting her for New York socialite Poppy Lifton (Tamara Feldman), during her mother's fashion show. Jenny Humphrey (Taylor Momsen) becomes a casualty of Blair's schemes as her father Rufus Humphrey (Matthew Settle) begins to see through her Jenny's lies. Meanwhile, Dan Humphrey (Penn Badgley) decides to hang out with Chuck Bass (Ed Westwick) to improve his writing, incidentally discovering a darker side to Chuck. Lily Bass (Kelly Rutherford) finds difficulty in her marriage with Bart Bass (Robert John Burke) when details behind her past are uncovered.
|This section is empty. You can help by adding to it. (December 2012)|
"The Serena Also Rises" was watched by 3.39 million of viewers, making of this episode the 3rd most watched episode of the series.
The episode received generally favorable reviews from critics. Most critics praised the fashion theme and the scenes involving Chuck and Dan. Isabelle Carreau, from TV Squad reviewed the episode based on fan perspective, stating that the episode was "a little bit awkward but satisfying at the same time". Carreau enjoyed Serena finally embraced one side of herself, but was disappointed with Jenny's choices throughout the episode. Film School Rejects praised the episode with Michelle Graham stating "Fashion week is hellish, rivalries are at their peak and this episode showcases that to perfection". Jacob from Television Without Pity, gave the episode an A+, citing positive reviews on Chuck and Blair's performances. Overthinking It noted the show's creative streak, stating "The last episode of Gossip Girl continued the show’s return to form, and thankfully contained various acts of wanton cruelty."
Critical reaction towards Ed Westwick's performance was mixed. Carlos Delgado, from If Magazine, praised Chuck's story line, stating that "the real magic happens" when Chuck opens his heart to Dan. He would later call the show "a mindless unrealistic teen drama". Overthinking It praised Chuck's development, calling his motivations "inscrutable" further asserting that it was his inscrutability that "added to his allure, because it made him impossible to judge, at least on any terms he’s willing to grant us — as opposed to say, morally, by which standard he’s a jerk. There was a constant deferral of judgment, a missing piece of information that was necessary to forming a complete picture of him. This kept us involved with the character and, they should hope, kept us watching."
- Gossip Girl Episode Listings http://www.thefutoncritic.com/showatch.aspx?id=gossip_girl&view=listings
- Top CW Primetime Shows, September 29 – October 5. Tv by the Numbers. October 7, 2008. Retrieved September 15, 2010.
- Carreau, Isabelle (September 30, 2008). "Gossip Girl: The Serena Also Rises". TV Squad. Retrieved August 13, 2010.
- Graham, Michelle (October 2, 2008). "TV Review: Gossip Girl 2.5 – The Serena Also Rises". Film School Rejects. Retrieved August 13, 2010.
- "The Serena Also Rises". Television Without Pity. Retrieved August 13, 2010.
|last1=in Authors list (help)
- Wrather, Matthew (09-10-2011). "Gossip Girl: What’s My Motivation?". Overthinking It. Archived from the original on 06-10-2008. Check date values in:
- Delgado, Carlos (September 30, 2008). "TV Review: GOSSIP GIRL - SEASON 2 - 'The Serena Also Rises'". If Magazine. Retrieved August 13, 2010.[dead link]
- Full Cast & Crew at the Internet Movie Database
- Recap from Official Website
- The Official Gossip Girl website