|Directed by||David Gordon Green|
|Produced by||Michael De Luca|
|Written by||Brian Gatewood
J. B. Smoove
|Music by||Jeff McIlwain
|Edited by||Craig Alpert|
|Michael De Luca Productions|
|Distributed by||20th Century Fox|
|Running time||81 minutes
87 minutes (unrated extended version)
|Box office||$34,590,770 |
The Sitter is a 2011 comedy film directed by David Gordon Green and produced by Michael De Luca. The film follows a slacker college student who, after being suspended, is forced by his mother to fill in for a babysitter that called in sick. During this time, he takes his charges along for his extensive criminal escapades.
The film is a Michael De Luca Productions and 20th Century Fox joint venture, distributed by 20th Century Fox. The film was originally scheduled to be released in theaters on August 5, 2011, but was pushed back to December 9, 2011.
Noah (Jonah Hill) is a college student who has been suspended and lives with his divorced mother. When the babysitter of Mrs. Pedulla, who is wealthy and is setting up his mother with a surgeon, calls in sick, he reluctantly takes the babysitting job of the spoiled kids. The children are neurotic son Slater (Max Records), pop culture obsessed wild child Blithe (Landry Bender) and pyromaniac adopted son Rodrigo (Kevin Hernandez).
- Jonah Hill as Noah Griffith, a suspended college student.
- Ari Graynor as Marisa Lewis, Noah's friend with benefits.
- Sam Rockwell as Karl, a drug lord.
- J. B. Smoove as Julio, Karl's right-hand man.
- Max Records as Slater Pedulla, the neurotic oldest son.
- Landry Bender as Blithe Pedulla, the vain, celebrity-obsessed daughter.
- Kevin Hernandez as Rodrigo Pedulla, the unpredictable adopted son.
- Kylie Bunbury as Roxanne, Noah's college classmate.
- Method Man as Jacolby
- Erin Daniels as Mrs. Pedulla
- D. W. Moffett as Doctor Pedulla
- Jessica Hecht as Sandy Griffith
- Bruce Altman as Bruce Griffith
- Nicky Katt as Officer Petite
The Sitter has received mostly negative reviews from critics. It currently holds a 21% rating on Rotten Tomatoes based on 107 reviews, with an average rating of 4.2/10. The consensus states: "With its recycled plot, misguided gags, and a formula performance from Jonah Hill, The Sitter adds up to another disappointing entry from director David Gordon Green." Richard Roeper listed it as the #1 worst movie of 2011.
The Sitter was released on DVD and Blu-ray on March 20, 2012.
- "Title « British Board of Film Classification". Bbfc.co.uk. 2012-01-20. Retrieved 2012-04-12.
- "Movie Projector: 'New Year's Eve' cheer; 'The Sitter'? Not so much - latimes.com". Latimesblogs.latimes.com. 2011-12-08. Retrieved 2012-04-12.
- "The Sitter (2011)". Box Office Mojo. 2012-02-16. Retrieved 2012-04-12.
- "The Sitter". Rotten Tomatoes. Retrieved 2012-04-12.
- The Sitter at the Internet Movie Database
- The Sitter at Rotten Tomatoes
- The Sitter at Box Office Mojo