The Thing (jazz band)
Ingebrigt Håker Flaten
Performances and recordings
The band was established in February 2000 to play a series of concerts in Stockholm and a recording of Don Cherry compositions that was released in Sweden by the label Crazy Wisdom/Universal. Melding German, British and American traditions of free music, their repertoire has later been collected from various sources such as James Blood Ulmer, Frank Lowe, PJ Harvey, White Stripes and Joe McPhee. McPhee was also a participating musician on the She Knows... album (2001). Other guests who have joined The Thing for recording and performances include Ken Vandermark, Otomo Yoshihide, Thurston Moore, Jim O'Rourke and Jeb Bishop.
Garage was released on the Smalltown Superjazzz label in 2004. An EP of live material performed with Joe McPhee and Cato Salsa Experience was released in 2005, as well as a live album. 2006 saw the release of Action Jazz, also on Smalltown Superjazz. The group covers material from Ornette Coleman, Lightning Bolt, Yosuke Yamashita and others in addition to original material. The group are the only free jazz ensemble working today who wear stage uniforms. They perform clad in t-shirts from Ruby's Barbecue Restaurant in Austin, Texas.
- The Thing (2000)
- She Knows... (with Joe McPhee) (2001)
- Garage (2004)
- Live at Blå (2005)
- Action Jazz (2006)
- Immediate Sound (with Ken Vandermark) (2007)
- Now and Forever (box set containing The Thing, She Knows..., a new improv session Gluttony and a live DVD Live at Øya 2005 w/ Thurston Moore) (2007)
- Bag It! (2009)
- Mono (2011)
- Boot! (2013)
The Thing with Cato Salsa Experience and Joe McPhee
The Thing with Otomo Yoshihide
- Shinjuku Crawl (2009)
The Thing with Jim O'Rourke
- Shinjuku Growl (2010)
Neneh Cherry & The Thing
- The Cherry Thing (2012)
- Hunter-Tilney, Ludovic (June 23, 2012). "Neneh Cherry and The Thing: The Cherry Thing". The Financial Times. Retrieved June 27, 2012.
- Official website
- Old website
- English language podcast with The Thing Russian language translation provided as well.
|This article about a Norwegian band or other musical ensemble is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|