The Valerie Project
|The Valerie Project|
|Associated acts||Espers, Fern Knight, Fursaxa|
|Members||Greg Weeks, Brooke Sietinsons,
Helena Espvall, Margaret Wienk,
Jesse Sparhawk, Jim Ayre,
Tara Burke, Mary Lattimore,
Jessica Weeks, Charles Cohen
The Valerie Project is a Philadelphia-based psych-folk band. Their first (self-titled) album, released in 2007, is intended to serve as an alternate soundtrack to the cult Czech New Wave film Valerie and Her Week of Wonders. They have performed live at screenings of the film. The band is led by Espers member Greg Weeks and also includes Brooke Sietinsons and Helena Espvall of Espers, Margaret Wienk, Jesse Sparhawk, and Jim Ayre of Fern Knight, Tara Burke (aka Fursaxa), Mary Lattimore, Jessica Weeks (wife of Greg), and Charles Cohen.
The band performed live in 2006-2008, accompanying screenings of the film at the Museum of Modern Art in New York, at London's Meltdown festival, and elsewhere. Their debut album, recorded in eight days and released on Drag City, received positive reviews in The Independent, Pitchfork, Foxy Digitalis, and XLR8R, as well as a more mixed review in The Guardian.
- Phares, Heather. The Valerie Project: Biography. Allmusic.
- Murphy, Matthew. Album Review: The Valerie Project. Pitchfork Media. 2007-11-21.
- The Valerie Project: A cult film inspires a new sound. New York Press. 2007-03-14.
- The Valerie Project at MoMA
- Gill, Andy. Album: The Valerie Project. The Independent. 2007-11-23.
- Nayman, Adam. The Valerie Project. Eye Weekly. 2008-04-02.
- Davis, Paul. The Valerie Project at Brookdale Lodge. Metroactive. 2007-10-31.
- Ballard, Nora. The Valerie Project - The Valerie Project. SF Station. 2007-11-20.
- Taiclet, Steve. The Valerie Project. Foxy Digitalis. 2007-12-05.
- Hughes, Josiah. The Valerie Project. XLR8R. 2008-10-01.
- Toms, Katie. Other CDs: The Valerie Project. The Guardian. 2007-12-02.