Tom Cross (politician)
|Member of the Illinois House of Representatives
from the 84th district
July 31, 1958 |
Tom Cross (born July 31, 1958) is a Republican member of the Illinois House of Representatives, representing the 84th district where he has served since 1993. He is currently the House Republican Leader.
Political career 
During his time as House Republican leader, Cross joined with then Senate Republican leader Frank Watson to referee the "rancorous" relationship between House and Senate Democrats and Democratic Governor Rod Blagojevich.
In February 2009, Cross and fellow Republican, ranking impeachment committee member Jim Durkin, spoke out about a follow-on controversy over the impeachment testimony of now-U.S. Senator Roland Burris. Burris had been named by Blagojevich to fill President Barack Obama's Senate seat, after the emergence of the corruption charges against Blagojevich but before Blagojevich's removal from office.
Burris had reportedly not mentioned fund-raising contacts allegedly made to him by Blagojevich's brother, Robert Blagojevich, in his testimony, but then filed an affidavit with Democrat impeachment committee chair Barbara Flynn Currie, listing three such contacts, shortly after February 5. Word of the new information did not reach the public, or the Republicans in the House, until its release in the Chicago Sun-Times on February 13. Cross was quoted as saying "We [Republicans] find it ironic that at the same time Democrats are forming a new committee to clean up corruption, they are sitting on critical information related to the biggest corruption scandal our state has ever seen."
Personal Life 
Tom lives in Oswego with his wife and a daughter named Hudson who attends Oswego High School.
- Bernstein, David (2008-02). "Mr. Un-Popularity". Chicago Magazine. Retrieved 2008-11-09.
- "Burris Defends His Evolving Description of Talks", Monica Davey, The New York Times, Feb. 16, 2009, page A9 Retrieved 2-15-09.
- Biography, bills and committees at the 98th Illinois General Assembly
- House Republican Leader Tom Cross at Illinois House Republicans
- Join Tom Cross official campaign site
- Biography, voting record, and interest group ratings at Project Vote Smart
- Profile at Ballotpedia
- Financial information (state office) at the National Institute for Money in State Politics
- Profile at OurCampaigns.com
|This article about an Illinois politician is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|