Tom Cross (politician)
|Member of the Illinois House of Representatives from the 97th district|
|Minority Leader of the Illinois House of Representatives|
January 2002 – August 2013
|Preceded by||Lee Daniels|
|Succeeded by||Jim Durkin|
July 31, 1958 |
|Alma mater||Cumberland Law School
Illinois Wesleyan University
Tom Cross (born July 31, 1958) is a Republican member of the Illinois House of Representatives, representing the 84th district where he has served since 1993. He served as House Minority Leader from January 2002 to August 2013, when he resigned to run for Illinois Treasurer.
During his time as House Republican leader, Cross joined with then Senate Republican leader Frank Watson to referee the "rancorous" relationship between House and Senate Democrats and Democratic Governor Rod Blagojevich.
In February 2009, Cross and fellow Republican, ranking impeachment committee member Jim Durkin, spoke out about a follow-on controversy over the impeachment testimony of then-U.S. Senator Roland Burris. Burris had been named by Blagojevich to fill President Barack Obama's Senate seat, after the emergence of the corruption charges against Blagojevich but before Blagojevich's removal from office.
Burris had reportedly not mentioned fund-raising contacts allegedly made to him by Blagojevich's brother, Robert Blagojevich, in his testimony, but then filed an affidavit with Democrat impeachment committee chair Barbara Flynn Currie, listing three such contacts, shortly after February 5. Word of the new information did not reach the public, or the Republicans in the House, until its release in the Chicago Sun-Times on February 13. Cross was quoted as saying "We [Republicans] find it ironic that at the same time Democrats are forming a new committee to clean up corruption, they are sitting on critical information related to the biggest corruption scandal our state has ever seen."
Tom lives in Oswego with his wife and two children.
- "Big GOP guns back Cross' treasurer run, but House Republicans suffer". Chicago Business. September 13, 2013. Retrieved November 24, 2013.
- Bernstein, David (February 2008). "Mr. Un-Popularity". Chicago Magazine. Retrieved 2008-11-09.
- "Burris Defends His Evolving Description of Talks", Monica Davey, The New York Times, Feb. 16, 2009, page A9 Retrieved 2-15-09.
- Biography, bills and committees at the 98th Illinois General Assembly
- House Republican Leader Tom Cross constituency site
- Profile at Project Vote Smart
- Profile at OurCampaigns.com
- House GOP Leader Tom Cross at Illinois House Republican Caucus
- Collected news and commentary at the Chicago Tribune